This is a brief guide for how to be a good basketball player for beginners. It does not promise instant success but it will give you the know how to become the best for whatever you do. So here are some ways to improve basketball skills at home.
Table of Contents
1. Practice drills
It is crucial that when you get a chance to shoot in a basketball match, you make it count. Therefore, even top players need to practice shooting. You can do one, two or three player drills as below:
- One player drill– Stand as close to the basket and bend slightly at the knees. Practice set shots and jumps. Practice shooting until you get 5 shots before you move to another spot and repeat shooting. Move further and further away from the basket and change your angle. Try shooting with both hands too.
- Two player drills– Try racing a friend or shoot with a partner. The added pressure will help you get into position and shoot quickly as is needed in a match.
- Three player drills or lay up drill-Two players (A and B)stand on the edge of the key to the right of the basket while a third player, C, stands just to the left of the basket. Layer A approaches the basket and attempts a layup shot, while player C collects the ball and passes it to player B at the edge of the key. Player B now approaches the basket while player A moves under the basket to replace C. Player C moves to the edge to receive and immediately collects the ball. The cycle continues. Try to increase the speed and pace of shooting.
2. Use tips to become a better shooter
To become a better basketball shooter, learn not to force the action. Here are some tips:
- For right-handed people-Place right foot slightly forward. Keep right elbow close to the body.
- Keep fingertips light on the ball, centered on the ball.
- As you jump, bring the ball up to shoot then snap your wrist. This action will allow the ball to roll off your fingertips.
- This action helps the ball go into the basket by creating a slight backspin on the ball.
- You want to shoot the ball just before you reach the top of the jump.
- Make sure you always land on the same spot you took the jump on.
3. Prepare mentally
Every time you shoot, visualize briefly the ball going in the basket. This is very important to become a better basketball player mentally. You can also meditate to calm nerves before a game. Practice deep breathing and meditation both of which can improve focus and concentration which are crucial during the game.
4. Get your basics right
In order to get better at basketball, get a complete understanding of the rules. Learn and read up all about it. Pay attention to your physical fitness and diet too. Get trained in speed and agility. Your coach can help you. At home, practice with friends or simply try shooting hoops. Watch games on TV or on YouTube to get some more basketball tips and tricks. Many expert coaches and sport stars have written how-to guides and books about their tips and techniques. Read up all you can and soon you will be good at basketball.
5. Win the rebound
This is an essential part of getting better at basketball at home. The rebound is a chance of winning the ball back from the opposite team. It occurs when a player from your opposite team attempts to shoot and the ball rebounds from the wall behind the hoop. Winning the ball from this point is a crucial part of being a good basketball player for beginners. To win the rebound, place yourself between the hoop and the marker. Watch the ball at all times and bend your knees. Spread out your arms and make your body big and strong. Get ready to jump as the ball rebounds.
6. Guide the ball in gently-not shoot it in
This is called tipping in and it needs tons of practice. It basically involves lightest of touch for guiding the ball in. This needs tons of practice as well as judgment. You can also tip in while watching your opponent’s rebound. Adjust your body in mid air and try to get hand to it. You need to jump spectacularly and once there, gently flick the ball into the basket. As a defender if you catch a rebound, you can turn your defense into attack.
7. Practice dribbling and passing
Dribbling and passing are the most important of basketball tips and tricks. Learn these skills and you will naturally become a great basketball player fast. The moment you stop dribbling, your defenders’ team will swarm you. As long as you remain dribbling, you remain a threat to the opponents. Only stop and pick up your dribble when you are ready to shoot and/or pass. Likewise, all players on court have to be skilled passers no matter what position they play.
Naturally, there are lot more tips and techniques to become better at basketball. For more information about ways to become a better player, click here.