So, you have learned to bake a cake but wish to turn the plain old cake into a work of art? Here are 21 easy ways to decorate a cake.
Table of Contents
- 1. Use KitKat
- 2. Simple nude cake with berries
- 3. Buttercream frosting
- 4. Easy ways to decorate a cake using Candy Corn
- 5. For chocolate lovers-Nutella frosting and choco curls
- 6. Use fondant
- 7. Use a paintbrush to decorate the cake
- 8. Use Marshmallows & M&Ms
- 9. Add some cookies
- 10. Use sprinkles
- 11. Use gummy bears
- 12. Edible glitter
- 13. Lucky charms and lollipop cake decoration ideas
- 14. Cream Cheese and fruit
- 15. Watermelon flour-less ‘cake’
- 16. Toasted coconut
- 17. Go nuts!
- 18. Use decorating tips and pens for the job!
- 19. Simply write a message
- 20. Use cereal
- 21. Go colorful with Ombre cakes
1. Use KitKat
KitKat® cakes are easy to make and so versatile-even your kids can do it. In absence of Kitkat, you could use chocolate fingers.
2. Simple nude cake with berries
Nude cakes are the latest trend to hit the wedding scenes as more and more minimalist couples-to-be are selecting them for their Big Day. You can dust the cake with powdered sugar and scatter some herbs (rosemary or lavender) for a rustic wedding or birthday party.
3. Buttercream frosting
Buttercream has been the traditional method of decorating a cake. There are many easy recipes for making classic buttercream frosting. Here is a simple one:
- ½ cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups sifted confectioner’s sugar
- 2 tbsp warm milk
- 3 drops food color
Cream together butter, extract and milk using a hand mixer. Add the sugar little at a time. The mixture should be fluffy. Pour milk and food color and continue beating with paddle attachment of the mixed. Beat 30 seconds or until smooth. Chill for a few hours before frosting.
4. Easy ways to decorate a cake using Candy Corn
Now that summer is here, you can use candy corn to make a simple sunshine cupcake. Candy corn can also be used for easily decorating Halloween party cakes and cupcakes.
5. For chocolate lovers-Nutella frosting and choco curls
Chocolate frosting is available easily in stores. You can also use a peeler to shave curls from white or dark chocolate to decorate the cakes easily. Here is an easy choco frosting recipe with Nutella
- 1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2 cups confectioner’s sugar
- ¾ cup Nutella®
- 4 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- With an electric stand mixer or hand mixer, beat softened butter until smooth and creamy. It should be a creamy texture before you add anything else.
- Add the sugar and continue beating until mixture is thick.
- Add Nutella and continue beating on medium speed.
- Add little by little heavy cream and vanilla extract. Beat some more.
- Frosting should be thick by now. Add a bit of cream if it is very thick.
- If frosting is thin, add some more sugar.
- Add a pinch of salt.
Here is a beautiful cake with Nutella, Hershey’s kisses, blackberries and real (inedible) flowers.
6. Use fondant
Fondant sheets have simplified the art of cake decoration and they make things super easy for novice bakers. You can readily buy fondant and shape it into anything your heart desires. You can also make fondant at home.
Here is a beautiful and super easy way to decorate a cake with confetti made using fondant sheets.
Fondant can also be used in different colors to make a Marble frosting effect on the cake.
If you want a tutorial on how to achieve marbling in the fondant, here is the recipe.
7. Use a paintbrush to decorate the cake
Yes, you read that right! Use a paintbrush ( a really fine one), some food color paste, decorating alcohol and stencils to draw the design on the fondant covered cake. You can also use luster paint and even airbrush the cake using this ready airbrush cake kit!
8. Use Marshmallows & M&Ms
This is the easiest way you can decorate a simple cake.
Looking for easy ways to decorate a cake for a kid’s birthday party? Simply add some store-brought cookies on the iced cake and chill in the refrigerator.
10. Use sprinkles
Sprinkles are colorful and easy to use. You can even involve your kids in the decoration!
Image: I heart baking
11. Use gummy bears
Colorful and cute, this is one of the easiest ways to decorate cake for a child’s birthday party.
12. Edible glitter
Sprinkling some edible glitter on the frosted cake can add a touch of glam to otherwise plain cakes and cupcakes.
13. Lucky charms and lollipop cake decoration ideas
Like gummy bears, you can add different types of candy to easily decorate a child’s birthday cake.
14. Cream Cheese and fruit
Here is a simple cream cheese frosting recipe: You will need 1 stick of butter at room temperature, 2 packages (16 oz) cream cheese and 8 cups confectioner’s sugar. You will also need a tablespoon of warm milk.
Method: In a bowl, beat cream cheese and butter with hand held mixer until fluffy and light. Add confectioner’s sugar, one tablespoon at a time. Add the milk and beat for 1 minute. If icing is thin, add sugar. Chill before frosting.
Use this frosting with colorful fruits and berries to make seasonal cakes-July 4th cake, Memorial Day cake, Christmas cake and so on.
Here is a simple and easy way to decorate a Christmas cupcake with cream cheese frosting.
15. Watermelon flour-less ‘cake’
This is for the health conscious people who are counting calories or are on a low carb diet. The cake, in this case, is made using watermelon. Cut the rind of the melon and arrange it in “cake layers”. Add butter cream cheese frosting or cool whip and decorate with berries, kiwis etc.
16. Toasted coconut
Simply toast some coconut shavings and add them on the frosting of your choice. Easy and tasty way to decorate a cake.
Image courtesy: Bobby Flay
17. Go nuts!
Add some roasted nuts and decorate a simple cake with basic frosting.
18. Use decorating tips and pens for the job!
These can help you create interesting patterns and shapes.
19. Simply write a message
Write a simple message using Ziploc bags- fill the bag with the icing sugar and write a heartfelt message on the cake. This is super simple way of decorating a cake which will be surely appreciated by all.
20. Use cereal
Make your cake healthy by adding crunchy colorful cereal to the frosting.
21. Go colorful with Ombre cakes
Colorful ombre cakes are a huge trend and they are increasingly being seen at weddings as well. Add food colors in grading hues while baking the different cake layers. The cake will look good as is (plain), or you could add some ombre cream cheese or butter cream frosting to enhance its appearance.