Exercise is very important for each of us and though we know this for a fact, we tend to be too lazy or too busy to be regular about it. However, truth be told, even the busiest person can make time for exercise. Below are some suggestions and easy ways to sneak in more exercise and be more active:
Table of Contents
1. Start slow
If you are not at all used to exercising, it is essential that you start slowly. Do not try to get in 60 minutes of aerobics on day 1 itself! Instead, start for about 20 minutes and then gradually increase it to 45 minutes per day. You can also get in 3 sessions of 20 minutes instead of an hour long session of 60 minutes.
2. At home
There are many ways to sneak in exercise at home. You can mow the yard; do some heavy duty cleaning, painting or repair work, gardening, walking the dog, raking the leaves, playing with the kids and so on.Try to sneak in some exercise when watching TV; you can easily do squats, push-ups, presses, planks etc n between commercial breaks.
3. Make smart switches
Instead of using labor saving devices such as vacuum cleaners, and lawn mowers, simply rake the leaves manually and clean the house with a broom and mop. You can also walk to retrieve balls while at the golf instead of using a golf cart.
4. At work
There are many smart and easy ways to get in more exercise at work.
- Walk to your colleagues’ cabin/desk instead of calling/emailing.
- Use the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Park your car further away from the office building so you can walk more. Take a brisk walk with a colleague during lunch break.
- Instead of coffee breaks, take an exercise break-some squats, pushups or even jump rope are some easy exercises you can do in place.
- Use the water cooler/coffeemaker/ toilet furthest away from your cubicle.
- Before eating lunch or snacking, take a 5 minute break to walk around a bit.
- Every hour you spend sitting at your desk, take a 3-4 minute exercise break where you do some jump rope, squats etc. Stretches, dumbbell exercises are some other exercises that are easy to do.
- When talking on the phone, walk around. Encourage colleagues to do walking meetings.
5. Every day life
Park your car further away from the store (or wherever it is you are going) and walk to your destination. Get an exercise bike, or cycle, jog, skate etc. When taking the bus, get off a few blocks prior to your destination so you can walk the rest. Also try some of these activities:
- Heavy gardening-shoveling, digging etc
- Weights training
- Resistance bands
6. Get help
Sometimes, you cannot do this alone. So seek help- ask buddies to join you or get help from a professional trainer. Join a fitness group, discuss with your healthcare provider or even a fitness coordinator at work.
7. Pick activities you like
Exercise can be in many interesting forms: swimming, cycling, even dancing. Here are some other fun activities: Aerobic dancing, martial arts, racing, soccer, jump rope, etc. You can also use videos and DVDs to work out to.
8. Stay safe
It is very important that you practice safety while working out. Learn which activity and how much time you can do it for safely based on your health and fitness level. Wear the right gear and in case of bad weather, workout indoors. You can also choose activity which does not need special gear-like walking, dancing etc.Also make sure you stay hydrated and that you warm up and cool down before and after the workout.
9. Keep a track of how much you do
Keeping a track of how much time you spend each week per activity can also help you get fit and show results.
As stated above, always talk to your healthcare provider before choosing an activity.