If you have hypertension or high blood pressure, you must work with your healthcare provider to lower it quickly and naturally. You both need to agree on your ideal numbers, and come up with a timeline and plan to lower blood pressure quickly. In general, the following easy ways to lower blood pressure quickly can help you:
1. Sleep well
Now you might wonder what this has to do with lowering blood pressure. The fact is: getting a good night’s sleep is essential to lowering blood pressure naturally. People who do not get adequate rest at night are a lot likelier to develop high BP. Here are some essential tips to help you sleep well:
- Establish a sleep rhythm. This means going to bed and getting up at the same time daily and even on weekends.
- Avoid eating heavy dinner immediately before bed. This will ensure that you sleep through the night. Eat your dinner at least 2 hours before you sleep.
- Avoid caffeine and alcohol immediately before bedtime.
- Avoid TV, computers or games before bed.
- Invest in a quality mattress and pillow
- Create an environment conducive to good sleep- dark curtains, climate control, using a gentle fan to mask noises that might wake you up.
Related content: Easy ways to sleep better
2. Weight loss
Losing weight is the easiest way to lower blood pressure quickly. While this might not be the easiest to achieve, it is definitely a remedy that will provide you with many wonderful health benefits.Make sure you do not lose weight too quickly- no more than 2 lbs per week. Try to eat fewer calories while burning more calories. There is no magic formula for weight loss and what works for someone else may not work for you. So the best thing to do is use the slow, steady and sustainable approach to healthy weight loss with a method you are likelier to stick to.
Read our article on easy ways to lose weight quickly here.
3. Quit smoking
This is easily the most natural way to lower blood pressure instantly. Tobacco and nicotine increases the risk of heart diseases and strokes and every cigarette you smoke raises your blood pressure exponentially. So quitting now is the best thing you can do to keep your BP in the normal range.
Here are some easy ways to quit smoking starting today.
4. Be physically active
This is also one of the easy and natural ways to lower blood pressure when pregnant. Women who keep active until their last trimester are less likely to develop blood pressure related problems. You need not indulge in strenuous exercises; even simple exercises like walking for 30-45 minutes daily can help. Household chores can also help you remain active: vacuuming the house, dusting the furniture, gardening for 40 minutes or pushing a stroller, raking the leaves etc (as directed by your OB/GYN).
5. Eat foods that lower blood pressure
Following a healthy diet plan is the best thing you can do to lower blood pressure. There are many foods that can help:
- Whole grains– brown rice, oatmeal, millet, barley, buckwheat, quinoa
- Beans and legumes-Black eyed beans, kidney beans, navy beans, pinto beans, chickpeas
- Vegetables-fresh broccoli, collard greens, kale, spinach, carrots, tomatoes, squash, sweet potatoes
- Fruits– Bananas, oranges, apples, pears, grapefruit, strawberries, berries, papaya etc.
Eating more plant based foods is also one of the natural ways to lower blood pressure and cholesterol. Stay away from red meat; choose fish, chicken or turkey. Also keep an eye on the beverages you drink: avoid sodas and sugary beverages. Drink homemade fresh fruit and vegetable juices, herbal teas and plenty of water.
Related content: Easy ways to make food healthier
6. Eat less sodium
Sodium (salt) has always been linked with high blood pressure. The DASH diet or the dietary approach to stop hypertension is the best known diet to curb hypertension since it limits daily salt consumption. The diet also includes whole grains, fruits, nuts and seeds, as stated above. In addition, it focuses on foods low in fat, cholesterol and dairy.
7. Power up with potassium
Potassium balances the level of sodium in the blood. So try and consume at least 4,700 mg of potassium daily. You can get this requisite quantity through supplements to lower blood pressure as well as by eating more fruits and vegetables.
8. Drink alcohol in moderation
Excess alcohol consumption can increase the risk of hypertension. Alcohol also impacts the liver, brain and heart. Alcoholic beverages pack calories so if you are trying to lose weight in order to lower blood pressure naturally, try to drink in moderation. Women must limit their intake to 1 drink per day and men to two drinks per day. (Note that one drink is 12 oz beer, 5 oz wine or 1 ½ oz whiskey).
9. Take prescribed BP medicines daily
This is the easiest way to lower blood pressure. Your doctor might prescribe medicines and supplements to lower blood pressure. Here are some easy tips to help you remember taking your medicines daily:
- Follow a fixed schedule for taking the BP medicines
- Keep the medicines near a place that will help you remember taking them.
- Keep a picture of your loved ones near the medicine with a note to remind you to take your meds.
We hope these 9 easy ways to lower blood pressure help you achieve your goals. Good luck!