Pinterest is a beautiful social media tool, image based just like Instagram is. And like Instagram, you can use this platform to make money online. All you need to do is create a business account on Pinterest and ‘pin’ photos on different ‘boards’ offered by the platform. Like Instagram, Pinterest is a great social media tool for sharing photos. A Pinterest account holder can create different boards on topics of interest to him/her. People with similar interests can like or share those photos. Pinterest is also a great way to drive traffic to one’s blog or website. So without further delay, let us consider some easy ways to pin on pinterest for money:
1. Understand what Pinterest is all about
The reason why you can make money on Pinterest almost on an autopilot is because you simply post photos and people can use even those photos that you have ‘pinned’ months ago. Suppose, you have a site that helps people solve common problems. Take the example of recycling old socks. You can teach people to make mug warmers or rugs and quilts from old socks with step-by-step tutorials of the process. Pinterest is like a little search engine for photos and people will be interested in seeing pictures and getting inspired to create or learn something new. Visual tools like Pinterest and Instagram are hence great for making money online. Once your tutorials become ‘famous’ you can use Pinterest in 3 ways to make money: become a virtual assistant, sign up to affiliate programs or become an influencer. A virtual assistant can help big businesses manage their Pinterest accounts. This is not the best way to make money on Pinterest as finding a good business to work with can be difficult. An Influencer is someone who gets paid by big business to recommend certain pins. You have to have a huge audience for becoming an influencer. This method of making money is certainly not guaranteed as the amount will vary greatly and you will have to be on your toes to find businesses interested in partnering with you. You certainly cannot quit your day job with the Influencer and virtual assistance methods of making money on this platform.
2. Affiliate marketing on Pinterest
This is the best way to make money on Pinterest without spending too much from your pocket. In this type of marketing, you recommend certain products or services of your affiliate partners. When someone from your audience buys that product or service or clicks on the links you have recommended, you get some commission. Many affiliate marketers have made tons of money using Pinterest this way. Some of the good affiliate programs to sign up to include Amazon, ShareASale, Ali Express etc.
3. Select a niche
Naturally, before you create an account on Pinterest, you need to understand if it will indeed pay. So search for some niche topics that are highly searched for. Topics like wedding, dogs, dresses, DUY tutorials etc are extremely hot and highly searched for. Once you have selected a niche, make sure you create your account and start finding good photos for that niche. Here are some ways to select a niche topic:
- Select a niche that you are passionate about. Making good amount of money on Pinterest is possible provided you are consistent about it. Most people will be consistent when they get pleasure from the activity. So select a topic/area you love, are familiar with and can ‘talk’ a lot about.
- Do some research – find out which topics are fun and profitable at the same time. You can also find topics that are great but haven’t been talked about much. Try searching for trending topics on Google search trends. A basic Google search can also help. Don’t forget to scroll down and find ‘searches related’ to your search interests.
4. Use Pinterest to drive traffic to your blog
Pinterest can also help you make money if you have a blog or a website in place. Even if you do not have a blog, you can create one quickly. Of course, there are people who are known to make money on Pinterest without having a blog in place. In such a case, you can sign up for affiliate programs as mentioned above. If you have a blog, and it has plenty of Images on it, then you can download the pinterest app or search engine button on your PC. Each time you post a new blog with tons of photos, save those photos from your blog to the Pinterest account in the specific board. For example, if you have a blog on weddings, or are a wedding planner/photographer then you can pin images from your recent wedding from your blog/website to your Pinterest boards. Add the right keywords which are searched (Pinterest will give you nudges to select the right keyword and hashtag choices) so your boards get seen by people interested in weddings. Now, if someone clicks on your pinned image, s/he can get directed to your blog or website. That will automatically increase your traffic and help your site’s SEO.
5. Create a board structure
Every Pinterest account requires boards. Boards are like categories which help you pin similar images and group them together. In case of the wedding example above, you can make different boards like ‘wedding décor’, ‘wedding dresses’, ‘brides’, ‘grooms’ etc. Start pinning images relevant to each category. Once you have more than 1000 images pinned to various boards, you have a good chance of getting affiliate requests.
6. Focus on keeping your audience hooked
The best way to make money on any social media platform is to get more people visiting your boards. That is the only way to make money on Pinterest on an autopilot. In order to keep your audience hooked, you must keep pinning and posting to your boards daily. Find copyright free images that keep your audience enthralled. Post daily. Make sure you provide value to your audience. If possible, visit your competitor pages to see what they have been posting. Here are some more tips to keep your audience hooked on your Pinterest:
- Write a stellar bio
- Use colorful, copyright free images
- Add a catchy description per image
- Use trending hashtags for each picture
- Always keep a website or a blog that the photos link to– it impresses people
- Keep things professional.
- Get artistic – create fantastic images, add catchy captions and use humor to keep audience hooked to your pins and boards.
- Revisit successful posts-Pinterest has a feature that shows which pins are ‘heating up’. This helps you see the best posts so you can see their impressions, stats, number of shares, saves etc and pin more of similar content.
- Be consistent in posting on your blog and your Pinterest.
7. Keep an eye on your analytics and stats
Here are some key metrics to keep an eye on:
- Impressions – The no. of times a pin showed up in different searches/home feeds etc
- Re-pins – The no. of times someone saved the pins
- Clicks – This is an important stat to know and it shows you how many people visited your website by clicking on the link through your pinned images.
- Average monthly viewers – the number of people see your pins on an average.
- Average engaged – This is the average of number of people who react or act on your pins like sharing or re-pinning etc.
8. Get integrated with commerce platforms
In order to make money on Pinterest, you need to have buyable pins through any of the commerce platforms like Shopify, Magento, IBM Commerce etc. You also need to use Apple Pay or credit cards to have buyable pins. Next, you’d need Rich Pins which are backed by meta data indexed by Pinterest. These pins come up on top in searches and you can offer promoted pins on a cost-per-click basis. This way, you make money each time someone clicks the pin. You’d need to keep an eye out on the analytics and stats so you can make changes and tweak your advertisement campaigns according to the results.
It is fun and it can be easy to make money on Pinterest. Make sure you are consistent and soon the money will flow – good luck!