To some people, being alone can actually be a wonderful thing-away from the kids, colleagues, bosses and even nagging partners. However, if you have just broken up or are new in a place, then being alone can be a terribly trying time. The truth is that, many people in relationships are also known to be lonely. So today we will be dealing with some effective and easy ways to overcome loneliness.
1) Stay in the present moment
The fact is that there is only one cause of loneliness and that is our thoughts. As stated above, people can actually even feel extremely lonely while they are in a relationship, despite having loving and caring partners. Your thoughts about your past or future are what tend to create these thoughts and illusions about loneliness. So stay in the present moment. You can do so by focusing on the activity you are doing. Remember: Happiness is what remains once we lose those fantasies surrounding happiness. You can also meditate or use self-help videos to help you stay in the present moment when thoughts about loneliness bring you down.
2) Question your beliefs about loneliness
As stated above, loneliness is nothing but an illusion. People believe and fantasize that being with someone or being with friends can make them happier. That is not the case. Ask yourself following questions
- Can a relationship fulfill me? Was I really happy all the time when I was with a certain person? Chances are that the answers to both these questions are no and that there would have been moments when you have felt lonely and miserable even when you had people around.
- Have there been some situations in my life that are creating this illusion of loneliness? Perhaps you have moved recently or joined a new school or workplace. Things can be difficult in the beginning, but with time, you will make friends. You only need keep an open mind. Often the reason why we seek happiness outside of our self is because of troubled childhood. If your parents have not been loving, then chances are we seek love in all our relationships we form when we are adults.
3) Stop keeping the key to your happiness in someone else’s pocket
That is the key to happiness and preventing loneliness. When you depend on other people for happiness, you will always be unhappy once they leave. So learn to be happy alone. Enjoy your own company. Look in the mirror and make these affirmations 5-6 times each day:
- I love myself!
- Life loves me and I love life!
Do this every single day and see the positive changes in you!
4) Encourage yourself
Talk to yourself or write down your thoughts down in a diary. Speak good thing about yourself. Love yourself. That way you won’t need others to tell you good things about you. Especially when things are not going so well, you must take a moment to write down 5 good things which are great about you. You can do this now while you are reading this article.
5) Develop yourself
Now, more than ever, take the time out to focus on yourself. Invest this time to learn a new language, exercise, take up a hobby or read positive books. Learn a new skill. Not only will you meet other people in the process, you will make friends too.
6) Be selfless
Stop focusing only on yourself. Instead, invest some time in others-do something for family/friends/community. When you focus your energy on other people who need it, the Universe is bound to shower love on you and you will never feel lonely.
7) Stop obsessing over others’ lives
Stop focusing on how happy other people seem to be on social media. If needed, disconnect from these media completely. Focus on your development. Start living your own life and do not be bothered with what others are doing with theirs. Create opportunities for yourself. Remember that what people post may not always be their reality.
8) Get out there
Get a job, go travel, join a group-do anything that keeps you occupied in a healthy and positive way. Find your interests and soon you will meet like-minded people. This will leave no room for loneliness.