No matter how many closets and cabinets one has in their home; one never seems to have adequate storage. Whatever storage you do have inevitably seems inadequate. So how do you go about adding more storage to stop you from throwing out the excess stuff you do have? Today we will discuss some easy storage ideas for every room in your home and beyond.
Table of Contents
1. Make a list of items you need to store
Storage items fall in multiple categories like seasonal items, garden tools, kitchen basics etc. Once you make a list of these items, it will make it easier for you to decide what to throw out and what to keep. This will also help you come up with basic storage ideas for each room.
No other room in the house is more storage-strapped than the kitchen. The biggest secret to having the perfect kitchen storage is to know what you plan to stack and accommodate those items.
- Frameless cabinets work best for kitchens as they take up less space. You can also go for tall slim tower cabinets that frame your refrigerator and ovens.
- Pull out drawers, shelves and organizers are also great for stacking larger boxes.
- Also go in for a super susan which can increase storage by 33% compared to lazy susan.
- Select kitchen drawers in the right width and depth. Use organizers to prevent wasted drawer space.
- Hanging pot racks are also great and you can even add backsplashes that hold cups, spoons and ladles etc. If you are planning to have an island in the kitchen, go for square ones.
Related content: Easy ways to update a kitchen
Pantries are great for storing the excess items from the kitchen but you must design the shelves with great care. In case of reach in pantries, shallow shelves at top and deeper shelves at bottom work best. For walk in pantries, the opposite is true.
Use your creativity to add more storage in the bathrooms.
- Your towels and linens need maximum space, so you can add a small unit to stack those in the hallway outside the bath. Alternatively, go for a high cabinet in the empty corner of the bath to hold towels and linen.
- Add small vanities above the tub, toilet and vanity.
- Decorative boxes and baskets can also be used for holding bathroom items.
- Open shelves are great for holding the shampoo bottles, after shave etc. If you do not have one, you can consider this as a small renovation project; simply hollow out an alcove in the wall to hold your bottles.
- Make sure you add plenty of hooks behind the door and on the walls to hang up robes and towels.
Chest of drawers, armoire, dresser, chiffonier all usually have drawers for storage for bedrooms.
- Make sure the drawers are of varying depths. Small drawers are ideal for small clothing items like underwear, belts and socks.
- Consider installing a window seat with drawers of cabinets beneath.
- The area under the bed is best for storing seasonal items. Shallow rollout bins and rollout drawers also work for this area.
- Do ensure that you also provide adequate storage for luggage in the guest bedrooms in case you host overnight guests often.
6. Kid’s rooms
- Add plenty of nooks and crannies to kiddies’ rooms for toys and books.
- You can also add lofts above the closets.
- Make sure the storage you do add makes it easy for kids to put things away.
- Large lidded plastic containers work best for kids’ rooms.
- You could consider rotating toys so kids do not get bored of the existing ones and it also makes easy to store things neatly.
- A designated desk for homework is also essential for kids’ rooms. This could have a couple of drawers attached.
7. Living/family room
Add buffets or tables with drawers to the living areas. Cupboards and bookshelves are great for displaying books and collectibles. Oversized ottomans with storage are also a latest trend to add easy storage to living rooms.
8. Attic and garage
Make sure these areas have adequate storage space for lawnmowers, snow blower, seasonal stuff etc. For these appliances, consider adding storage units that slide up against the garage wall. Attic truss systems work well for seasonal decorations and clothes. Hooks in the walls can be used for hanging bikes, canoes etc.
Finding storage for everything is never easy but with a little imagination, planning and creativity, you can find space for everything.