Greek Yogurt is one of the most delicious and healthy foods to lose weight and improve overall health and well being. When used in combination with good overall diet and exercise regime, it can show amazing weight loss results. Greek yogurt is a balanced lean protein which helps keep your metabolic rate up while also maintaining muscles. So let us take a look at some health breakfast, lunch, dinner and baking recipes with Greek Yogurt.
1. Making Greek yogurt at home
The first step in cooking with Greek yogurt is learning how to make it at home. While you can always buy it from stores, fresh homemade yogurt tastes best and you can control what goes in it. Here is an easy recipe:
- Over a medium bowl, place a medium mesh strainer.
- Place 3 cheesecloth squares over the mesh.
- Pour 2 cups of low fat or full fat, plain yogurt over the cheesecloth. Fold the cheesecloth tightly but make sure the yogurt does not ooze out from sides.
- Place a heavy weight over the cloth to weigh down the yogurt. A filled can (contents do not matter) works best.
- Leave the assembly overnight or for 10 hours in the refrigerator.
- You can now serve the Greek yogurt or use it for cooking.
2. Cooking with Greek yogurt as substitute
Here are some standard substitutes for healthy recipes:
- 1 cup cream cheese – Replace with non fat or reduced fat 1 cup Greek Yogurt. Use it as frosting.
- 1 cup mayonnaise – Replace with 1 cup non fat/low fat Greek yogurt. Use it over baked potatoes, tuna, eggs, pasta salads and dressings
- 1 cup sour cream – Replace with 1 cup non fat or low fat Greek yogurt. Use it for Mexican dishes, dips and baking recipes.
- 1 cup heavy cream – Replace with 1 cup of whole Greek yogurt. Use it on mashed potatoes, creamed spinach, cookies, cupcakes, pies, panna cotta etc.
- 1 cup oil – Replace with ¾ cup Greek yogurt (nonfat or reduced fat). Use it in baking breads and muffins.
3. Greek yogurt smoothie
A smoothie is the easiest way to use Greek yogurt for protein rich breakfast. Blend this thick yogurt with a scoop of protein powder, fruits, honey or agave nectar. Be as creative as possible to make delicious smoothies. Frozen fruits such as bananas, mangoes and berries taste best in yogurt smoothies. Add plenty of nuts, dried fruits and seeds such as chia or flax seeds for a boost of protein and fiber.
4. Greek yogurt Pancakes
If you love pancakes that look good and taste better, then you must try these delicious yogurt pancakes in your life! Not only are these super easy to make, they have a ton of protein in them. (Here are the macros per serving: 10 gm protein, 32 gram carbohydrates, 205 calories).
- 1 cup spelt flour
- ½ tsp each baking powder and baking soda
- ¾ cups plain Greek yogurt
- ½ cup plus 2 tbsp low-fat milk
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- In a bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (baking powder, soda and spelt flour).
- Next, whisk together all wet ingredients (yogurt, milk, eggs and maple syrup until well combined).
- Now whisk the wet and dry ingredients. Let the batter stand for 10 minutes.
- Whisk again before making pancakes as usual.
This is a no-bake Greek yogurt cheesecake recipe which is sure to satisfy your sweet tooth without too much guilt!
- ¼ cup organic coconut oil, melted
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 ½ cups plain Greek yogurt (full fat or low fat)
- 8 oz cream cheese at room temperature
- 1/3rd cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- At the bottom of an 8-inch spring-form pan, add crushed graham cracker crumbs mixed with coconut oil and flatten and press the mixture down. Refrigerate this crust for an hour or until set.
- Using an electric mixer, beat together yogurt and cream cheese for 5 minutes on medium speed until smooth and creamy.
- Next, add condensed milk, vanilla extract and salt and beat for a few more minutes.
- Remove pan from fridge and add the batter. Pop back into the refrigerator and allow the cheesecake to set for 10 hours or overnight.
- Serve the cheesecake with toppings of fruits, chocolate syrup, nuts, and sprinkles.
Use this healthy and delicious savory recipe with Greek yogurt. Your family will love this one for sure!
- 1 lb organic lean ground beef
- ½ cup low fat Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup oats
- 1 tbsp dried minced onions
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- ½ tsp each onion and garlic powders
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- ¼ tsp parsley flakes and ground paprika
- In a mixing bowl, add all ingredients and mix well. Shape into round patties (about 6).
- Preheat grill to medium heat.
- Cover and refrigerate until the grill heats up.
- Grill on both sides for 6-8 minutes or until inside temperature of patties is about 160 F.
- Serve with buns or pita bread or inside wraps with other condiments and toppings of your choice.
7. Versatile sauce
Use this Greek yogurt sauce for brightening up all kinds of dishes from fish to falafel to raw vegetables. Make this at least 30 minutes in advance because the longer it sits, the better the flavors will meld.
- ½ cup low fat/no-fat Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp finely chopped scallions
- Salt and coarsely ground pepper to taste
- 2 tsp each fresh lemon juice and fresh chopped dill
In a bowl, whisk together yogurt, scallions, dill and lemon juice. Season it with salt and pepper. Refrigerate for at least half an hour.
There is so much you can do with delicious Greek Yogurt. These days, you can also get vegan Greek yogurt made from cashews or almonds or coconut cream. They taste amazing and you can use them in many recipes. Happy cooking!