Whether you are preparing for a group photo or love taking selfies, it pays to know some easy ways and tips to look photogenic in pictures. You must always ask yourself, ‘what image do I want to portray’ or ‘what are my best assets and how do I highlight them while hiding the flaws’? These questions can help you dress appropriately, pose correctly and also smile appropriately for the camera to look beautiful in all the photos.
1. Dress-Style tips to look photogenic
- Wear solid colors and vertical stripes. Colors like black with vertical stripes make you look slimmer in photos.
- If you have a dark complexion, avoid colors like green, orange and yellow which make you look darker. Always choose lighter colors in case you have a tanned or brown skin tone.
- Whiter/lighter colors will make you look younger while darker colors make you look mature. Dress according to the image you wish to portray.
- Avoid dresses with patterns since patterns can be distracting. You want people to look at your face instead of your dress.
2. Tips to look photogenic without makeup
If you wish to look photogenic without taking help of makeup then make sure you at least have a clear complexion.
- Treat acne blemishes since these are clearly seen in close-up shots. Avoid over-washing your face as that can give you a dried up look in the image. Develop a good skin care regime to give you a clear skin.
- If however your efforts do not pay then you might want to wear a light foundation closely matching your skin tone.
- Go easy on powder based foundation since it is seen clearly in photos and will give you a heavy, caked look. If you have fine lines, simply cover them with a single layer of foundation.
- Also drink plenty of water. What does that have to do with being photogenic? A lot: water can give you a glow which will be visible in your photos.
3. Use accessories wisely
Accessories such as hats with a wide brim tend to throw a shadow on your face and highlight dark circles. If you can, simply remove the hat when being photographed; otherwise make sure you use a concealer to cover up dark circles. Failure to do so will cause a raccoon like look which is the last thing you want in your photos. If you plan on wearing makeup to look photogenic and also happen to be wearing a hat, then you need to make your eye-shadow bolder to be seen in the images. Use glitter and brighter colors and do not forget your eye liner and mascara.
4. Tips for posing for photos
As we get older, our figures change. So study what body shape you have. Go online and find men/women of your body type. Then study the poses they have given. You can also study the angles they have used to display their best assets. For example, many actresses with thick waists twist seductively so they seem to have an hourglass figure. Expert photographers (known to photograph models and actors) also recommend “turning your chin up and waist a little to the left”. This is a surefire way to look photogenic in pictures. Here are some more ways how to pose for a good picture:
- Avoid slouching and always elongate the body.
- If you are sitting, sit up straight.
- If you wish to look photogenic with a big nose, look sideways instead of straight at the camera. This will make your nose look smaller than it is.
- People with a double chin do well in images where they stick the chin forward and down. This eliminates the chin instantly.
- The shoulders are the widest part of the body in most cases. So stand with a 45 degree angle to the camera (slightly to the side) and this will make you lose 10 lbs instantly!
5. Women- lay off the nude lipsticks
You can try this for yourself. Take some selfies with nude lipstick and few with brighter shades. Nude lipstick pictures might look stunning in person but they do not translate well into the photos. So, if you plan on taking selfies or are preparing for class pictures or group photos-then do wear a bright shade of lipstick. Red, pink, magenta, plum, berry and wine shades all work well.
6. Turn the phone diagonally when taking selfies
Selfies come with many options and you can change the camera’s angle every time you take one. This will prevent routine pictures and you will look photogenic all the time. Make sure your image is in the upper corner. This is a more flattering way of taking selfies rather than simply having you in the screen’s center.
7. Be confident and open minded
If you are feeling self conscious or under-confident about your weight or even a small pimple, the insecurity will show in the images. So-smile! Smile like you know a secret! You can try and practice before a mirror as to how much to smile- coy smile or big teeth-showing smile! Ask a friend how much to smile and what looks good on you. Look as natural and happy and as confident as possible-that is the best way to look photogenic all the time.
Use these 7 easy ways to look photogenic and see the difference in your photos.
If these tips made your life a little easier, let us know. This enables us to create more useful guides for you.