Pumpkin seeds are packed with tons of nutrients. They are rich in minerals, iron, zinc, proteins and vitamin K. These unique nutritional health benefits as well as their flavor and texture help pumpkin seeds find an important place in hundreds of recipes, both sweet and savory ones. Let us study some easy ways to eat more pumpkin seeds.
1. Roasted pumpkin seeds recipe
You can easily buy pumpkin seeds in health food stores. However, the best way to eat roasted pumpkin seeds is to make them yourself. Here are the steps:
- Remove the pumpkin seeds from their surrounding pulp.
- Place them on a parchment paper in a single layer and let them dry overnight.
- Transfer the seeds on to a baking sheet and lightly roast them at 160 F for 15-20 minutes. Note that you can preserve the healthy oils in the seeds by roasting at a lower temperature.
- Store the roasted seeds in an airtight container for up to 4 weeks. Consume daily as snacks or appetizers.
2. Pumpkin seed milk recipe
Vegan and paleo dieters as well as lactose intolerant people will find this a wonderful way to get more calcium, phosphorus and magnesium without having to turn to dairy. Drinking pumpkin seed milk can prevent osteoporosis in women and also safe guard prostate health in men. Pumpkin seed milk recipe is a wonderful way to eat more pumpkin seeds daily.
To make unsweetened pumpkin seed milk:
- 1 cup raw pumpkin seeds-soaked for 8 hours
- 3 c fresh water
- Pinch of salt
To make sweetened pumpkin seed milk
- 1 c raw pumpkin seeds soaked for 8 hours
- 3 cups fresh water
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3-6 pitted mejdool dates or maple syrup or honey or agave nectar
- 1 tbsp sunflower lecithin
- Strain the seeds and discard the soaking liquid.
- Add the seeds and water to a high powered blender and blend for 2 minutes. Once you have a smooth mixture, strain the milk through a nut-milk bag or nylon cloth. (You can add the pumpkin pulp to your plants as compost or use it in baking recipes.
- Variation: to make spicy pumpkin seed milk which is perfect for fall, add some cinnamon and nutmeg to the blender. You can also make a chocolate version of pumpkin seed milk recipe by adding sweetened or unsweetened cocoa powder to the final product.
3. Pumpkin seed patties or loaf bread recipe
This is a fantastic recipe to use up the leftover pumpkin seed pulp discarded above.
- ½ cup pumpkin seed pulp
- ½ cup chopped raw cashews
- 2 egg whites beaten
- 1 cup canned red kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1 ½ cups quick cooking oats
- 1 ½ cups corn flakes cereal
- 4 tbsp pumpkin seed milk
- Italian seasoning – 1 package
- 2 tsp olive oil
- ½ tsp each garlic powder, dried thyme and oregano
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Mix all ingredients and shape into patties.
- Place patties on lined baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes. Turn patties and bake again on the other side for 10 minutes. Serve in burger buns, with your favorite gravy or sauce. You can use the above recipe to make the pumpkin seed bread. Simply shape the dough in form of loaf and bake in a 9×12 lined baking pan.
4. Pumpkin seed energy snack bar recipe
To make pumpkin seed granola bar use the following recipe
- ¼ c honey
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ c almond meal
- Pinch of salt
- 1/8 tsp pumpkin pie spice or you can use nutmeg and cinnamon
- 1 tbsp nut butter
- 1 1/3 c chopped almonds
- ½ c dried cranberries
- ¾ c roasted pumpkin seeds
- Pre heat oven to 350 F.
- Mix the honey, extract, meal, salt, nuts, seeds and nut butter until combined. Use a rubber spatula to mix so that it does not stick to your hands.
- Prepare an 8 inch baking pan by lining it with parchment paper.
- Press the nut-seed sticky mixture into the pan up to 2 inch thickness.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Turn the granola bar out on a wire rack and cool completely for an hour.
- Cut into individual bars. Wrap the bars into plastic wrap or parchment paper.
5. Use them for garnishing soups etc
Add pumpkin seeds to soups, salads and in all your recipes. You can also use them as a garnish on your pudding recipes.
6. Pumpkin seed sauce recipe
Below is an easy pumpkin seed sauce recipe which goes very well with pasta recipes.
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds
- ¼ c chopped onion
- 1 slice bread torn
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 canned green chile peppers
- 1 can low sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- Heat a pan and add the oil.
- Fry pumpkin seeds, onion, bread, and garlic until the oil is absorbed. Add the pepper chopped. Fry for a minute then turn off heat. Cool slightly.
- Place the mixture in a food processor. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Mix the puree with cream and broth. Stir in the salt.
- Warm the mixture on low heat until heated through. Serve over cooked pasta (ravioli) etc.
7. Other ideas to eat more pumpkin seeds
- Make pumpkin seed brittle. Check recipe here.
- Make them into pesto. Check pumpkin seed pesto recipe here.