Cauliflower is the world’s healthiest vegetables and it is also quite easy to cook. You can roast it, fry it or even ‘rice’ it. These days, many people use cauliflower in place of flour or rice to make their dishes healthier and lower in carbs. Let us take a look at some interesting ways to cook cauliflower.
Table of Contents
1. Curried cauliflower pickle
This is a bold, Indian inspired cauliflower pickle recipe you will love. It has turmeric which can stain clothing, so make sure you wear an apron to protect them.
- 5 cups apple cider vinegar
- 3 heads of cauliflower florets
- 2 onions peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 ¼ cups water
- 2 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp yellow mustard seeds
- 1 ½ tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp celery seed
- ¾ tsp each peppercorn powder, ground ginger and cumin powder
- In a stainless steel stockpot, add all ingredients except the cauliflower and onions. Bring to a rolling boil then add the florets and simmer until lightly cooked and still crisp.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the florets and transfer them to sterilized pint jars.
- Return heat under the brine to hard boil.
- Use ladle and funnel to pour the brine over the cauliflower leaving ¼ inches of space in the jar.
- Fasten the jar lids and transfer the jars to a canner filled with boiling water. The jars need to be covered up to 2 inches. Close the canner and return the water in canner to a boil and process it for 15 minutes.
- Carefully remove the jars and cool them on wire racks.
- You can now remove the rings, wipe the jars clean and label them.
- Store this pickle for up to a year in a cool, dark place.
2. Easy cauliflower side dish
This is one of the healthy and easy cauliflower recipes:
- ½ medium cauliflower head cut into florets
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- A pinch each of salt, pepper
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- A dash of garam masala powder/Indian curry powder
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ cup raisins
- Chopped cilantro
- Wash the florets and steam over medium heat for a few minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- In a small pan, heat the oil. Add garlic, spices and fry for a few minutes. Add cauliflower, lemon juice and a few tablespoons of water. Turn the cauliflower until well coated with spices.
3. Creamy mashed cauliflower
Looking for healthy alternative to starchy mashed potatoes? Try this creamy cauliflower recipe:
- 1 head cauliflower cored and cut into wedges
- 3 tsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 head garlic
- 1-2 tbsp milk/almond milk if needed
- On a baking sheet, pile the wedges, add olive oil, salt and pepper and toss to coat well. Add the remaining olive oil to the garlic and wrap the wedges together with the garlic in an aluminum foil. Bake the assembly in preheated oven at 400 F for 20 minutes until cooked.
- Transfer garlic and cauliflower to a food processor and process until smooth. If the texture appears grainy, add some milk. Process until smooth and creamy.
- Serve warm.
4. Fried cauliflower
This is the perfect recipe when you are looking for tasty and different things to do with cauliflower:
- 1 cauliflower cut into large florets
- 2 tbsp milk
- 2 eggs
- 200 grams rusk/bread crumbs
- Wash the florets in water. Add a bit of milk and salt and parboil the florets in water for a few minutes. The vegetable must remain crispy and not mushy.
- Drain the florets and dry on a cloth.
- Pass them through egg and coat them with breadcrumbs or rusk.
- Deep fry in hot oil.
- Sprinkle with butter and serve with sour cream or cheesy dip.
5. Easy cauliflower rice
This is a low carb/Paleo rice recipe you will love. It is one of the healthy recipes for weight watchers. It is also the best way to cook cauliflower on stove without oven:
- 1 medium cauliflower cut into medium pieces
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1 minced onion
- Salt and pepper
- Pulse the florets in a food processor until grainy.
- In a skillet, sauté onions with a bit of salt until brown.
- Add the grainy ‘rice’ and cover and cook till tender. Season with pepper.
6. Cauliflower pizza crust
This is a delicious low carb crust on which you can assemble your pizza toppings. Naturally, this crust does not hold like regular crust, so make sure you serve the ‘pizza’ immediately. Here are the steps to make this healthy pizza crust:
- Steam or parboil the cauliflower with the stem. Once cooled, pulse it in a food processor until it reaches consistency of paste.
- Strain the puree in a fine muslin cloth.
- Spread the paste on a plate-you can try drying it further using a hair dryer.
- Now add almond meal and Parmesan cheese to the paste. You can also add egg, cilantro, mixed herbs or oregano and parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a greased 10 inch baking sheet, press down the ‘dough’ firmly. Bake in preheated oven for 20-30 minutes at 180 degrees C. You need to test the dough from time to time. Make sure the crust is not soggy nor is it burnt. Oven temperatures vary, so keep a close watch.
Once done, assemble the pizza toppings of choice and bake further. Serve immediately. Isn’t this one of the most interesting ways to cook cauliflower?