The thigh gap is the latest craze to hit the fitness, fashion and beauty industry. Many celebrities have it and those who don’t have at least expressed a desire to develop one. A thigh gap is the gap between thighs when one is standing straight with the knees touching. It is an indication of how toned, slim and slender one’s thighs are. Men prefer women with thigh gaps, if statistics are to be believed. Many thin women naturally have a thigh gap though there are some who have developed it through thigh gap exercises. So today we will take a look at some easy ways using which you too can get a thigh gap within a month. Before we do so, it is important that we discuss some important pointers first:
Thigh gap craze-what has fueled this latest fitness trend?
The thigh gap craze can be attributed to stick thin models seen on the ramps at fashion shows such as those for Victoria’s Secret collections. The craze first hit the runways a decade ago and was soon taken up by celebrities and fashion bloggers. Soon, teenage girls wanted slim and toned thighs; many of them even going to the extremes of eating fewer than 200 calories per day to achieve it. Such harsh methods and diets are definitely not recommended as they give rise to a host of health issues. Social media has further fuelled the thigh gap craze as seen by the number of shares and likes received by photographs of thin, skinny women with thigh gaps. All these exacerbate the need to develop similar bodies.
It may not be possible to develop a thigh gap for all
Before we discuss some easy ways to develop thigh gaps you need to know that it isn’t for everyone. There are many factors that one needs to consider including one’s genes, body shape as well as the hip width and thigh bone ratios. Some women cannot develop it because their bodies are just not designed for it. Therefore, one needs to be practical when approaching this fad. Speak to a fitness consultant as well as a doctor before using the remedies given below to develop a thigh gap.
How long does it take to get a thigh gap?
With the right thigh gap workout plan, you can develop it within a month. Apart from exercise, you also need to eat the right thigh gap diet. A good thigh gap diet is rich in lean protein, low in simple carbs and high in good fats. So opt for chicken, turkey, fish, low fat dairy, whole grains, fresh fruits, vegetables and nuts and seeds. Drink a protein shake before and after workout. As stated above, if your efforts do not show results within a month, your body might not be designed for it.
Best exercises to reduce thigh size
It is not easy working out the thighs as this area of the body accumulates fat and is difficult to tone and slim down. Here are some of the best inner thigh exercises to do daily for at least a month for developing thigh gap.
1. Sumo or plie squats
- Start by standing up straight with a gap between the feet. Ideally your feet should be placed wider than your shoulder width.
- Join both hands together in front of the chest. This will help you maintain your balance.
- Squat down to the floor level.
- As you reach down, start to push yourself up.
- Do 10 repetitions per set and 2-3 sets per day.
2. Butterfly stretch
- In this workout for thigh gap, you sit on the floor with your back straight.
- Place the soles of your feet together and hold both toes.
- Your knees will be bent.
- Start ‘flapping’ the thighs up and down bringing your joined heels as close as you can to your groin.
- Continue flapping for 10 times.
- Slowly bend your head down to touch the joined feet. Hold this position and feel the stretch on the inner thighs.
3. Thigh raises
- Use a stair/short stool for this workout.
- Lie on your side.
- Support your head with your arm.
- Raise the upper leg up to the stool. Hold. Bring it down.
- Continue to do this 15 times on each side.
- Do 2-3 times a day.
4. Leg stretches
- Position yourself on your hands and knees. Keep your back straight like a table.
- Stretch one leg and the opposite arm, trying not to let it go to the other side or move or bend while lifting.
- Stretch the opposite arm at the same time.
- Repeat with the other set of leg and arm.
- Do 10 repetitions per set and go for at least 3 sets.
5. Scissor Kicks
- Lie on your back.
- Place your hands underneath your bottom.
- Stretch your legs out in front of you.
- Point those toes outwards and start the scissor kicks.
- The key is to keep the toes pointed out to maximize the stretch on the inner thighs.
- This exercise also works out your lower abs.
- Do at least 30 times in 2-3 sets.
6. Jumping Jacks
This exercise tones the thighs as well as the buttocks.
- Start with the feet together and arms by your side.
- Jump with your feet out to the side. Raise your arms above your head.
- Do 4 sets of 20 jumps each.
These exercises are an important addition to thigh workout plan. Follow up with a thigh gap diet. Eat lean protein, cut down on carbohydrates or sugar and soon you will develop a thigh gap along with toned, slim thighs.