Hand-washing has become one of the most important things each one of us can do in order to protect us from bacteria and viruses. However, hand sanitizer supplies are running low all over the world as people are panic buying. Thankfully, there are a few easy ways to make homemade hand sanitizers without spending too much. So today, we will discuss five easy recipes to make alcohol-based as well as alcohol-free hand sanitizers.
So, without further ado, here’s how you can make a hand sanitizer at home.
1. Easy and simple gel hand sanitizer
This easy recipe is fun to make and very effective as well. It is also inexpensive, so you can make a large batch of it and even gift it to friends. The alcohol provides powerful germ-blasting action while the essential oil gives a mild fragrance to your hands. Go in for lavender oil, lemon oil, or tea tree oil as these also contain antibacterial and antiviral properties.
- ½ cup aloe vera gel
- ¼ cup alcohol
- 20 drops of your favorite essential oil
Simply mix all ingredients in a bottle and shake well. The gel hand sanitizer lasts for about 3 weeks, unrefrigerated.
Take a bit on the hands and rub your palms together. Let your hands air-dry.
2. Colorful hand sanitizer
We would not recommend the use of color, food-grade or otherwise, as that would stain the hands. A hand sanitizer’s purpose is to make your hands germ-free, and that is why you’d want minimal contaminants in them.
- ½ cup commercial aloe vera gel (green in color)
- ¼ cup ethanol or isopropyl alcohol
- 20 drops of lavender/lemon/tea tree essential oil
- In a bottle with a pump, mix all ingredients.
- This hand sanitizer will get the light green color of commercial aloe vera gel. You can also add a bit of food color to the gel but that would color your hands after use.
- Take a dollop on your hands and rub your palms together.
- Let your hands dry naturally.
- The recipe lasts for a few weeks at room temperature.
3. Simple homemade hand sanitizer with witch hazel (alcohol-free recipe)
Getting germs off the hands is a priority in the cold and flu season. Children and people with sensitive hands often find sanitizers with alcohol drying. That is why witch hazel makes a better alternative to isopropyl alcohol or ethanol. The gentle-yet-effective formula also contains aloe vera which tones down the harsh effect of essential oils.
- ½ cup pure aloe vera gel
- 1 tbsp witch hazel
- 5-10 drops of essential oils (sage/tea tree etc)
- 10 drops of pure lavender essential oil
- In a bowl, mix the aloe vera gel, witch hazel, and essential oil.
- Whisk with a clean fork until combined.
- Transfer contents to a clean, squeezable bottle.
- Take a small amount on your hands and rub thoroughly.
4. DIY hand sanitizer with Thieves essential oil
Thieves essential oil has an interesting history behind it. The legend goes that thieves doused themselves with a special oil blend which kept them from getting sick when they robbed dead bodies during the Plague in Europe. Thieves oil is readily available from top brands of essential oils. However, you can easily make your own Thieves oil using the following formula
Antibacterial Thieves oil lotion
- 40 drops clove essential oil
- 35 drops of lemon essential oil
- 20 drops of cinnamon essential oil
- 15 drops of eucalyptus essential oil
- 10 drops of rosemary essential oil
Mix all the oils in an amber-colored glass bottle.
- Always use Thieves oil diluted as it is very powerful. Never use the oil directly on the skin as it could cause severe burns or allergic reactions.
- Use 1 drop of the blend for every 4 drops of carrier oil or 1 drop per 1 ounce of water.
To make hand sanitizer with Thieves oil, use the following formula:
DIY hand sanitizer with Thieves oil
- ¼ cup aloe vera gel
- ½ cup vodka or any grain alcohol
- 10 drops each tea tree essential oil and lavender essential oil
- 8 drops cinnamon oil (optional, since Thieves blend also contains it)
- 10 drops Thieves oil
Mix all ingredients well.
Take a few drops of the sanitizer and rub all over the back and front of the palms.
5. Simple hand sanitizing lotion
This hand sanitizing lotion needs water to clean your hands completely.
- 5 tbsp aloe vera gel
- 1 tbsp Castile soap
- 2 tbsp sweet almond oil
- 50 drops of essential oils (Lavender/carrot seed/tea tree)
- Use a funnel to add aloe gel in a bottle
- Shake it well to break up lumps in the aloe.
- Measure Castile soap, almond oil, and essential oils into the bottle.
- Shake vigorously until well-combined
- Note: contents can get separated when left undisturbed for long. So, always shake the bottle well.
- Wet hands. Take a generous amount and rub your palms together.
- Scrub your hands together for at least 20 seconds and work up a lather.
- Wash off with warm water.
The gel will leave your hands feeling smooth and moisturized.