There are 5 simple ways that can help you get your health back on track. These include: reducing your exposure to toxins, managing stress, finding an ideal diet which can heal your gut and balance mineral levels, exercising regularly and getting support of friends and family. Let us see how you can utilize each of these 5 easy steps and get your health back on track, especially after a binge.
1. Reduce toxic exposure
There are essential steps to detox and we have covered them in detail here. Apart from regular detoxification routines, you must reduce the toxic exposure to your environmental toxins. Unfortunately, our world is full of these pollutants, and it is hard to avoid them. What we can do is minimize our exposure through following steps:
- Eat organic fruits and vegetables
- Avoid chemical based household cleaners-use vinegar and baking soda for cleaning
- Avoid food or liquid packed in BPA plastic containers
- Avoid BHA and BHT based lipsticks and moisturizers. Do not use chemical hair dyes and perfumes with Dibutyl Pthalate
- Get chimneys cleaned
- Use HVAC filter based air conditioners
- Use organic fertilizers for gardening and wash your hands (and produce) after handling them
- Shower and change clothing after you are back home from outside
- Wear gloves, masks and goggles when using paints, thinners or solvents when doing woodwork.
2. Manage stress
Stress is the number one fact that leads to comfort eating. We reach out for our favorite foods when we are upset and this leads to binge eating. There are several ways to manage and avoid stress in order to get health back on track. We have covered it in detail here. Here is a brief recap:
- Meditate or practice deep breathing twice a day
- Go for a brisk walk of 30 minutes or at least a daily physical activity you love: dancing, swimming etc
- Forgive and forget other’s wrongdoings
- Practice and develop an attitude of gratitude
- Anticipate your needs and prepare for the future without worrying.
- Keep things simple
- Lower your expectations
- Make to do lists to be better organized
- Get enough sleep
3. Find your ideal diet
Today there are literally hundreds of diets, with a new one popping up almost on a daily basis. The ideal diet is the one that works for you. It should ideally give you higher amounts of energy, reduce food cravings, help you maintain ideal body weight, and balance the mineral levels. There is no point in going on crash diets-they seldom give results and, at the most, you end up losing just a bit of weight only to regain it quickly. If needed, it is best to talk to a dietician who can chalk out a plan for you based on your BMI and specific health issues. S/he will also analyze your results based on blood tests so that you know if the diet is working for you. Accordingly s/he will tweak the diet for you adding or removing foods. In general the following dietary tips are the easiest ways of getting your health back on track especially after a binge:
- Drink plenty of water-at least half of your body weight in ounces. For example, if you weigh 120 pounds you must drink 60 oz fluids which could be 40 oz water and 20 oz other non-sugary beverages
- Reduce your carbohydrate/sugar intake. Sugar feeds cancer cells, increases insulin resistance and is linked with many hormonal issues. Focus on complex carbs obtained through healthy whole grains like brown rice, whole wheat pastas, etc.
- Eat 5 servings of fruits and vegetables-the more colorful, the better.
- Eat 4-6 small meals instead of 3 large ones. Meals should ideally comprise of fresh vegetables, whole grains, lean meat, seafood and low fat or skimmed dairy products.
- Practice portion control-the best way to stop overeating is to get up from the plate when you feel you can have one more serving.
- Eat slowly and mindfully-one of the easiest ways to get your health back on track and stop over eating.
- Quit smoking and reduce your alcohol intake
4. Stick to an exercise routine
Exercise can help you manage stress and is also good for your waistline. While this is not one of the easy ways to get your health back on track, it is certainly a proven one. Here are some easy ways you can set up an exercise routine and stick to it:
- Choose an activity you love
- Start small- 10 minutes first day, 10 more the next, and keep adding to it. You can even take 3 short 10 minute walks through the day instead of doing all at once.
- Develop a routine-get a friend or your spouse/partner to exercise with you
- Add small activities to your daily routine- climbing stairs, running errands, walking a pet and so on.
- Use an activity tracker app- many come in the form of Smartwatches that motivate you and you can also compete with friends.
- Set achievable goals. Write down your plans and tick off your to-do lists as you go. This can motivate you to stick to a regime.
5. Seek support
Whether you have been binge eating or are just recovering from an illness; you need not go through this alone. Getting your health back on track is easier when you have a support group to help. Talk to someone you love and trust. You could even try asking friends or family members to join you in getting your health back on track. Healthy eating and exercise become easier when everyone is working towards the same goals.
Use these 5 easy ways to regain your health!