If you are looking for easy ways to train your dog, you have come to the right place. We will tell you all there is that you need to know to make dog training fun and easy for both-you and your pet.
1. Know the dos and don’ts of dog training
The easy ways to train your dog should be fun for you and your dog. There are many advantages of using training methods; they not only ensure that your dog becomes more obedient, they also keep his brain stimulated. The exercise also helps foster a good relationship between you and your dog. Before we discuss the easy ways to train your dog, you must know these Dos and Don’ts of dog training:
- Do not use physical/corporal punishment to train your dog as this will make him/her afraid of you.
- Do show what you are trying to do-which is training your dog. Do not physically force him in any way.
- Do try to use consistency when training. Do be patient.
- Do not train when you or your dog is sleepy/tired/hungry/ill
- Do spend one week per command/lesson
- Do keep training sessions short yet make sure your dog does not get bored. For best results, train your dog in two, 15 minute-sessions, each day.
- Do not train in an area with distractions.
2. Train at the right age and use proper treats, rewards and verbal praises
Training can be started at any age, though, younger the dog, the better it is for him. When done properly, training can be great fun for both you and your pet and can also exercise his brain. For best results, use positive rewards and treats when training. Food treats work really well and can include anything from small pieces of liver, beef jerky, chicken, cheese, hotdog sausages etc. You can even give him his favorite toy or play his favorite game. When using food treats, you must reduce the portion of his meals or he will end up gaining weight. When teaching a command, say the command, and then show what you want the dog to do. You must reward him every time he does what you say correctly. Also praise him verbally each time. Over time, you can reduce the treats and only praise him verbally.
3. Never punish
Punishing a dog never works because, in most cases, the dog does not understand why s/he is being punished. Punishing during training is especially ineffective because it might lead to aggressive behavior. To avoid punishment, you can use the following easy ways to train your dog:
- Reward wanted behavior
- Ignore bad behavior
- Avoid trigger factors that lead to unwanted behavior
- Where unwanted behavior is unavoidable, use alternative commands. For example, if your dog jumps to greet people, command him to sit instead. If he is constantly rewarded with treats every time he greets people politely, he will automatically start greeting people right.
4. Use consistent and basic commands
- Have your dog stand in front of you
- Show him you have a treat in your hand
- Now, slowly move the hand with the treat around the body (head to tail) while saying ’Sit’.
- His head should go up and body down into sitting position as he tries to get the snack.
- Give him the treat and praise him.
- You can command the dog to sit.
- As you say the word ‘stay’ make sure you take a step away from him
- Now step back to him, pet him and treat him. Also use verbal praise.
- If he gets back up, use the ‘sit’ command again. Repeat the steps.
To easily train your dog to stay, you will need to slowly increase the distance as he learns to follow ‘stay’ command. If he gets up when he is supposed to sit, make sure you decrease the distance and repeat above steps. Then increase the distance again, as he learns to follow you and do as he is told.
Walk on lead without tugging/pulling
- Always walk on one (and the same) side of your dog each time.
- Hold the leash in opposite hand
- You can hold a treat in the hand nearest to the dog.
- Show the dog the treat and walk forwards-ahead of the dog
- You can use the ‘heel’
- As he follows you to get the treat, give the heel command.
- You can now give him a bit of the treat.
- Keep going. Continue walking as he stays by your side and tries to get the treat. Use the heel command.
- If he pulls in another direction or walks ahead of you, or if he is off leash and goes away from you in another direction, ask him to come to you. Give him the treat until he learns to associate walking by your side without pulling with the treat.
- Do this exercise in a garden having fewer distractions.
These are some of the easy ways to train your dog. Make sure you do these training steps regularly. Walking with your dog each morning is the best time to train and bond with your pet. Keep all training sessions short and fun. Stick to one command and be consistent. This will prevent your dog from getting confused. Finally, give your dog a long lasting chewy treat at the end of each training session. This will help him/her relax and not confuse them as to why the treats have stopped coming suddenly. If these easy ways to train your dog do not work for you, you might want to attend some organized training classes for added support.