Not everyone is born with great hair. Many factors determine the strength, length, thickness and color of your hair. Sudden shock, illness, internal disorders and genetic makeup can all impact the condition of hair. If you are looking for ways to take care of your hair, men or women, you have come to the right place. We will not be suggesting expensive hair treatments. Instead, we will focus on homemade hair care tips for shinier, healthier hair.
Table of Contents
- 1. Start with a good diet
- 2. Hot oil massages
- 3. Deep condition your hair
- 4. Wash hair with conditioner instead of shampoo
- 5. Use egg whites
- 6. Argan oil for hair fall and dandruff
- 7. Avoid styling/heat treatments
- 8. Wear silk scarf while sleeping
- 9. Avoid petroleum and mineral oil based products
- 10. Drink plenty of fluids
- 11. Use herbal supplements
- 12. Avoid smoking
- 13. Avoid the sun
- 14. Practice stress control
1. Start with a good diet
There is no way you can take care of hair fall or stimulate healthy growth of hair without following a healthy diet. Strong hair needs well balanced, nutritious diet. Iron deficiency is number one cause of hair loss in women. Due to this condition, your blood does not have enough oxygen to transfer nutrients to the hair. Oxygen deficiency also weakens the hair roots and leads to dryness of hair and scalp. You also need proteins and calcium for strong hair and deficiency of both can lead to weak hair. Here are some best hair care tips for healthy hair diet:
- Soybean-rich in proteins, this is one of the superfoods to eat for strong hair.
- Wild caught fatty fish- Contains essential fatty acids essential for strong, healthy hair growth.
- Milk and milk products-These provide you with calcium for strong hair.
- Minerals and vitamins from fruits, vegetables and poultry/meat- B vitamins in eggs, chicken liver, red meat etc as well as zinc in nuts and seeds. Iodine in salt, plums, eggplant etc is also necessary for strong hair.
- Brewer’s yeast-This is another superfood for strong hair. It is rich in B vitamins.
- Yogurt- Eat yogurt and also apply it to hair to get rid of dandruff and hair fall.
- Nuts and seeds- Pumpkin seeds contain plenty of zinc. Chia seeds are rich in Omega 3 essential fatty acids. Hemp and flax seeds are rich in fiber. All these can thicken the hair.
Eat organic. Avoid anything with chemicals, preservatives and sugar.
2. Hot oil massages
One of the easiest and most effective ways to care for hair at home is with regular hot oil massages. Natural oils like Argan oil, Jojoba, castor oil, coconut oil and olive oil mixed with essential oils deep condition the scalp and roots stimulate hair growth and prevent hair fall and dandruff. Many of these oils also prevent premature graying.
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup castor oil
- Jojoba oil-1-2 tsp
- 4-5 drops of rosemary essential oil
Warm the olive oil, castor and jojoba oils. Mix well and then add the essential oil. Stir to combine and massage the blend into roots of hair. Soak a soft towel in hot water and wring out the excess. Wrap your oiled hair with the hot towel. Leave on for 1 hour before shampooing off. Use this hot oil treatment weekly.
3. Deep condition your hair
One of the most effective ways to take care of your hair and make it grow is with conditioning treatments. You can buy deep conditioners but homemade ones work better. Use following conditioner for thicker, stronger and shinier hair:
- 1 mashed avocado
- ½ cup coconut milk or organic coconut oil
Mix the ingredients and comb it throughout the hair. Cover with a shower cap and sit under a dryer. Wash off with warm water.
4. Wash hair with conditioner instead of shampoo
You read that right! Instead of shampoo, use a conditioner to wash your hair. Shampoos strip the hair off natural oils. Use protein hair conditioner once every 2 weeks. You can apply a blend of raw honey, cucumber, olive oil, mayo, egg yolk, orange zest and splash of apple cider vinegar to deep condition the hair overnight. Shampoo only once a week. Other times just use conditioner.
5. Use egg whites
Eggs are great for hair owing to their rich protein content. Eat eggs daily and also use egg whites on hair to deep condition hair. This is one of the best hair care tips for long hair.
6. Argan oil for hair fall and dandruff
To take care of hair fall and dandruff, massage Argan oil into the scalp at bedtime. Wash off the next morning. Use this remedy once or twice a week.
7. Avoid styling/heat treatments
Braids, weaves, ironing, straightening, and excess coloring with chemicals can damage hair and cause breakage and hair fall. Use these moderately or not at all. Brush your hair with boar bristle brush to stimulate circulation.
8. Wear silk scarf while sleeping
A satin/silk scarf prevents friction and abrasion on the hair while sleeping. These natural materials help the hair retain moisture and shine. This is one of the best hair care tips for preventing hair fall and hair damage.
9. Avoid petroleum and mineral oil based products
These products clog the hair and prevent them from breathing. Mineral oil also causes hair breakage.
10. Drink plenty of fluids
Fluids, especially water, hydrate the hair and prevent dryness. Water also balances sebum production. Green tea promotes detoxification and is wonderful for hair. Go for fresh fruit and vegetable juices, celery juice for detoxification and green smoothies.
11. Use herbal supplements
Saw palmetto reverses and blocks DHT. It is the best known hair care tips for men with hair loss but women can also use it after consulting an herbalist. You need at least 1500 mg per day. Also take Ashwagandha, Neem, rhodiola etc. These herbs purify blood, reduce stress and are generally great for hair and skin.
12. Avoid smoking
Smokers are known to have premature gray hair 4 times more than non smokers do. So quit the habit.
13. Avoid the sun
If you are in the sun a lot, use a wide brimmed hat or scarf. You can also use natural sunscreen for hair such as coconut or Argan oil. Always seek the shade and use an umbrella when on the beach. Too much sun can damage hair and even lead to premature grays.
14. Practice stress control
Stress leads to excess cortisol and other hormones that tend to weaken the hair. Use mind-body practices and exercise daily to reduce stress. Sleep for 8 hours every day.
Use these 14 easy ways to take care of your hair.