Nearly 45% of adults around the world are known to snore occasionally while 25% of them are routine snorers. Snoring might not bother the snorer much as much as it does one’s partner; however, in some cases it could indicate obstructed breathing which could have a serious underlying medical issue. In this guide, we will discuss 14 easy ways to stop snoring. These time-tested and proven methods really work-so you would want to give them try.
1. Lose weight
Overweight people snore more because of the vibrations produced in the pharynx. Losing weight at the rate of 2-3 pounds per week can effectively reduce snoring by nearly 45%.
Related Content Easy ways to lose weight quickly.
2. Treat seasonal allergies
Seasonal allergies caused by pollen, dust and mold can lead to obstruction in the nasal passage and snoring. So treat the allergy by:
- Taking antihistamine medication.
- You could even try steam inhalation at night before bed to clear up the sinuses.
- You can also use decongestant medication or a neti pot to rinse off allergens.
- Alternatively, use a simple saline spray for the job.
- Make sure you vacuum the bedroom and wipe down surfaces to clear away dust, mold and other allergens that might aggravate your snoring.
This is one of the best home remedies to stop snoring while sleeping. Gargle with warm water and salt to clear away phlegm in the throat. You can also use peppermint mouthwash for this purpose.
4. Use anti snoring devices
Many anti-snoring devices are available in the market which include nose sprays, pillows, tablets, nasal strips etc. These products work for some; not for others. The reason being: the cause of snoring varies from patient to patient. So the best thing to do is talk to your doctor to determine that root cause. Occasional snoring could be eased with use of anti-snoring devices mentioned above. Snoring remedies nose strips are proven and effective anti-snoring devices which work by pressing the sinuses down so that they open up wider and allow more air to enter your airways. This helps you breathe better.
5. Change your sleeping position
People who sleep on their back are more likely to snore than ones who sleep on their sides, as the tongue gets pulled back in the former position. You could place a wedge shaped pillow under your back to prevent turning at night. In extreme cases, you could tie some tennis balls or other hard objects (placed in empty pillow cases or socks) to prevent turning on the back during sleep.
6. Keep your head elevated
Elevating the head is the easiest way to stop snoring. It will prevent your tongue from falling back into the throat which causes the vibrating sound. You could use a couple of firm pillows or elevate the head of the bed by raising its front legs. Invest in a bed having manual/automatic mechanism to raise it or add a few plants under its legs.
7. Change your mattress
A soft mattress is more likely to cause snoring since there is no support for the neck. Invest in a firm mattress that supports the neck firmly. This is an easy way to stop snoring without using medicines.
8. Quit smoking and avoid alcohol
Alcohol and nicotine both dry up the nasal airways. Alcohol also causes a partial collapse of the airways while cigarette smoke blocks the blood vessels of the lungs and swells up the tissues in the throat. Both factors lead to snoring and sleep apnea. Therefore, as part of your home remedies to stop snoring, you must quit smoking and alcohol.
Sleep apnea and snoring are closely linked to one another. To treat sleep apnea, you must rest well each night and avoid late nights or irregular sleep timings. Try and sleep at the same time every day and avoid stimulating activities before bedtime. Also schedule your sleep time so that you get at least 8 hours of rest.
10. Natural home remedies to stop snoring that really work
Many natural and holistic home remedies are known to be highly effective in preventing snoring. They include:
- Probiotic food– This includes food like yogurt with live cultures, miso, sauerkraut, kefir etc. These foods introduce healthy bacteria in your intestines which help fight infections and keep your sinuses clear. Always eat yogurt earlier during the day and do not eat it before bedtime at night.
- Essential oils- Many essential oils, especially those with menthol and camphor content are known to help in respiration. So apply oils like peppermint, eucalyptus, camphor oil on the pulse points at night. You can also make a chest rub with these oils by mixing them up with some coconut oil and applying to the forehead, chest, pulse points etc.
- Sip on olive oil- Many snorers have found this home remedy very effective. Sipping a few teaspoons of olive oil before bed stops snoring completely.
- Apply coconut oil inside the nostrils– This remedy prevents dryness and keeps the airways clear of obstruction. You can also apply homemade ghee or clarified butter on the inside of the nostrils.
- Mangosteen juice– Pure mangosteen juice for snoring is a proven remedy that has helped many snorers (and their partners) get a good night’s sleep. Drink a glass each night before bed. The anti-inflammatory properties of mangosteen reduces allergies and infections that may be responsible for the snoring.
11. Use a humidifier
A humidifier keeps the air moist when you sleep. Run a humidifier to prevent cold, dry air from drying up and clogging your airways further. This is a great remedy to prevent snoring in winters.
12. Avoid sleep medicines
Many sedatives and tranquilizers relax the throat muscles, which leads to sleep apnea. So avoid consuming these medicines if you are prone to snoring. Also avoid caffeinated beverages that dehydrate the bodily tissues making them dry.
13. Change your diet to stop snoring
Many foods like dairy products are mucous producing. So avoid consuming these just before bedtime. You can consume then during the earlier part of the day. If you have the habit of drinking a glass of milk at bedtime, make sure you switch to soy milk or almond milk. Eat a diet rich in fruits and vegetables. Consume plenty of nuts, seeds, fresh fruit and vegetable juices. Avoid fruits like bananas and guavas that are mucous producing. Do avoid fatty foods that deposit a layer of fat on the throat and increase sleep apnea. Drink at least 7-8 glasses of water to flush out the mucous.
14. Snoring remedies exercises
Exercise will help you lose weight and also stop snoring. You can do some tongue and throat strengthening exercises. Singing and humming are good for the throat and help prevent sleep apnea. Many wood instruments like flute and didgeridoo are also known to help. Also do the following:
- Exercise for at least 150 minutes a week. Walk briskly for 30 minutes, five times a week.
- Swim- swimming is a complete body workout that also reduces cold and coughs.
- Buy videos of Tai chi, yoga or home exercises and do these daily.
So, if your partner has been complaining of you snoring off late, try one or more of these easy ways to stop snoring and make a huge difference in your sleep quality and health.
If these tips made your life a little easier, let us know. This enables us to create more useful guides for you.