Many factors can delay periods or lead to scanty, irregular or absent periods (amenorrhea ). If you have always suffered from this problem, you must get it checked by your doctor to rule out underlying issues such as PCOS or hormonal imbalance. Excess estrogen or lack of it can lead to irregularity in the monthly menstrual cycles in many women. Birth control pills, acne medication and certain anti-depressants are often responsible for missing or delayed periods. Pregnancy of course should not be ruled out in case of missed periods. In this guide, we will study some easy ways to help you induce your period naturally, overnight and in some cases, in one hour!
Table of Contents
Many homeopathic remedies can help ‘make my period come today’. Homeopathy is based on the principle that ‘like cures like’. Thus it is completely safe and natural way to correct imbalances and restore normalcy in the menstrual cycle. Some of the homeopathic remedies to induce periods include:
- Pulsatilla- This is given for girls who have delayed menses at puberty, anemia, low scanty periods or delayed and absent periods from time to time.
- Senecio-For amenorrhea since puberty.
- Nat Mur- For amenorrhea with lack of sex drive in older women
- Calc carb- for painful and absent periods.
You must consult a homeopath for the exact dosage as homeopathy is a customized science based on patient’s detailed medical history. These remedies might not help you get your periods in one day naturally, but they can help correct imbalance and treat the underlying cause of the problem.
2. Apple cider vinegar
This is an effective remedy to induce periods if they are late. Apple cider vinegar makes the body alkaline, balances ph and reduces inflammation caused by hormonal irregularities. Drink a tablespoon of organic and raw ‘mother’ apple cider vinegar mixed with a glass of warm water and some honey or orange juice. Repeat this remedy 2 times a day before meals. It will provide your body with important minerals and vitamins and restart delayed periods within a day. This remedy will also alleviate cramps, get rid of hormonal acne and benefit your body in various other ways.
Saffron is an Ayurvedic remedy known to induce period which is delayed. Drink warm milk mixed with some saffron strands. Doing so will help reduce stress which is often the cause of amenorrhea or delayed periods.
4. Ginger tea
Boil water and add crushed ginger to it. After 2-3 minutes, add tea leaves and sugar and then switch off the heat. Allow the tea to steep for 3-5 minutes. Enjoy with lemon or honey. Drink this tea for amenorrhea and late periods 2-3 times a day. Ginger regulates the hormones and increases blood circulation to start delayed periods.
5. Blackstrap molasses
Blackstrap molasses can induce period immediately. Take a tablespoon of blackstrap molasses once a day, preferably after meals. Blackstrap molasses are rich in iron, potassium, phosphorus and calcium. This remedy can not only restart delayed periods, it will also prevent cramps and menstrual pain that arises before menstruation. You can also mix up Blackstrap molasses with apple cider vinegar and water to induce period immediately.
Iodine deficiency can lead to thyroid issue and play havoc with one’s menses. Taking just a few drops of iodine can correct the imbalance and might help restart delayed or absent period. Start by taking 1 drop of Lugol’s iodine in a glass of water once a day for one week and slowly increase to 1 drop twice a day. Take magnesium, Vitamin C and selenium as these help with iodine absorption.
7. Herbs to get period naturally
Many herbs can help induce period if late and some can even start period when you are pregnant. Herbs to start period fall into two categories- blood movers and blood builders. Both types improve blood circulation, boost metabolism, regulate hormones and bring about periods. Some herbs are emmenagogues which jump start delayed period. Western medical practitioners are wary about recommending these methods to start period. However, these herbs are used extensively in the East to induce period immediately in teenage girls having amenorrhea.
- Sage tea- Take sage tea 2 times a day. This herbal remedy has actually helped women start period in one hour.
- Pennyroyal– This herb can induce period when pregnant as it brings about uterine contractions. Take pennyroyal tea as advised by experienced herbalist. Note that this is not a safe remedy for abortion as it can be fatal to the mother. Pennyroyal tincture and oil can be used topically on the stomach to contract the womb which might induce period. Never take pennyroyal essential oil internally.
- Vitex, black cohosh, yarrow, red clover and licorice– Make a tea by mixing these herbs and steeping them in hot water. You can also take tinctures of these herbs. 1 teaspoon 2-3 times a day can start delayed period overnight.
- Dong quai– This is a herb used extensively in TCM or Traditional Chinese Medicine that acts as uterine tonic. Take this herb together with Vitex to regulate periods and menstrual cycle.
- Ginger, rosemary, lemongrass and Roman Chamomile are also gentle emmenagogues that can gently start delayed periods.
- Raspberry leaf tea is also beneficial for delayed period.
Lack of estrogen caused by long term delayed periods can cause weak bones. So take a calcium and magnesium pill. Also take vitamin A in the form of beta carotene and Vitamin C every day. You also need to take 200 IU of vitamin E, low dose lithium and iodine as mentioned above. For thyroid issues, take Histidine that helps with T3 and T4 regulation. Take 100 mg of magnesium citrate twice a day.
9. Pranic healing/spiritual practices
Pranic healing uses the body’s Chi or Ki energy to regulate menstrual issues. Learn all about it here. You can also find a teacher near you. Meditation and positive visualization can help overcome stress which can delay period. Some binaural beats meditation and subliminal messages can also start delayed period. These practices are based on the ‘power of the mind’. They ultimately help you relax and control stress which tends to delay menstruation.
Yoga for irregular periods helps improve blood circulation and regulates hormonal imbalance. Perform the yoga poses daily to get your period naturally.
Lack of exercise or strenuous exercise can both delay periods. If your sudden strenuous exercise program is accompanied by less than optimum nutritional intake, then ease off the exercise a bit. Conversely, if you are a couch potato, consider making exercise a part of your daily routine to stimulate blood circulation, reduce stress and regulate hormones. This can help induce periods if they are late. Jogging, brisk walking, swimming and elliptical/cross trainer are some of the best exercises for starting delayed menses.
12. Dietary changes
Malnourishment can also cause lack of periods or delayed period. In one study[i], a 19 year old runner with amenorrhea normalized her menstrual cycle by consuming high calorie sports drinks. Likewise, overweight women can also experience irregularities in menses. For these, a low-calorie diet containing spirulina, proteins like soy and legumes as well as nutritional yeast can help. Following dietary changes can help:
- Cut back on sugar, gluten and tea and coffee
- A vegan or vegetarian diet with salads, raw fruits and vegetables can help.
- Drink apple cider vinegar 2 times a day
Some women start a period after achieving orgasm though this is not a medically proven fact. Having sexual intercourse can sometimes stimulate uterine contractions and help you make your period come today.
If the problem persists, do see your doctor immediately.
[i] Women’s Herbs, Women’s Health By Christopher Hobbs, Kathi Keville