The easiest way to change or improve the world around you is to change yourself and improve yourself first. No one can improve you- you have to do it yourself. So today we will see some easy (and some not so easy) ways to improve yourself.
1. Determine the areas that need improvement
Many times people just jump into things saying, “I want to get better”, or worse, “I hate everything in my life”. This is not helpful at all. Such ‘flight into health’ is usually motivated by fear. Instead, introspect and determine what is it in your life that you want to change. Accordingly, develop a plan and work towards your goals.
2. Know you have the right to improve
Start by forgetting all your past mistakes and failures. Each day, wake up and reinforce these affirmations: I have a right to change, I have a right to improve and I have a right to become stronger, better, and powerful.
3. Delay no more!
If you fail to improve yourself today, you will fail to improve your self confidence tomorrow and in the coming days. So start now. Take the first step. Do something today to boost your self esteem and self confidence.
4. Build confidence
To build confidence work on following areas:
- Improve your wisdom. Gain knowledge by reading books or watching educational videos in your field.
- Read at least one or two new books every week.
- Change your habits-leave the bad ones out of the door and stick to good ones. Pick new habits that will improve you.
- Select a hobby and do it every day-painting, drawing, knitting and so on.
- Develop new skills-take a class, sign up for a course, get your degree etc.
- Change your mind-set by changing your ideas, thoughts and plans. Be selective about who you hang out with.
- Improve your language. Starting today, refuse to use bad words. Learn a new language if possible.
- Take action. Pick up a project-it could be home improvement project, for example. Start with one room and move on till you finish the whole house.
- Improve your nature, your character. Make a decision to speak the truth, to be kind, to be more dependable and trusting.
Once you overcome your shortcomings, you will increase your self confidence automatically.
5. Do your homework
And this is not just for students. Consider yourself as student for life. Initial preparation for a final movement in any area is what homework here means. So do your homework every day. This will help you to avoid feeling weak or embarrassed in front of anyone. Homework will help guide you and also help you think things with clarity. It will help judge you and make you realize your potential. If you do your homework before any work, it will boost your confidence and improve you more and more on a day to day basis.
6. Wake up early
Most successful people are early risers. They wake up early and utilize the quiet time to gather their thoughts, plan for the day and also meditate and introspect.
7. Keep a journal
Write down your thoughts, goals and how you see yourself a few years down the line. Perhaps you want a better job, a bigger house, a thinner body. When you write about the future, you have a better scope of creating it. You can also write a letter to your future self or start a blog where you share your goals, passions, hobbies, ideas and projects.
8. Set challenges
Keep setting newer challenges and goals. These will help you stay motivated. As you cross off one challenge after another, your confidence will go up and you will feel happier. You will become unstoppable!
9. Overcome fears
Make a list of your fears. They could be fear of speaking before a large audience or the fear of taking risks etc. Fears keep us in the same position. So address those fears. Take up a project where you have to speak before a vast audience. Addressing the fear will help you grow. Get out of your comfort zone as it can be extremely stagnating.
10. Avoid TV and social media
Too much TV watching and social media is not empowering. It can disconnect you from people and keep you from doing enjoyable stuff like meeting friends or exercising etc. So limit these distractions.
11. Surround yourself with positive, uplifting people
Befriend people who are good at what they do. Learn from them. Surround yourself with cheerful, happy people instead of ones that pull you down.
12. Be kind
Go out and do some voluntary work to help others less fortunate. Be kind to people around you-you never know what one is going through. Reach out to people who you have not spoken to for a long time or have had a disagreement with. Get a closure and move on. Hatred and anger are self limiting and can keep you from being your best version.
There are nearly a 1000 ways to improve yourself but we think these 12 are the most important ones.