It is estimated that nearly 15 to 50% of married Americans are living without sex. Many couples have intercourse fairly often but in majority of the cases they feel they are not having enough or that it is not as enjoyable. Women are usually stereotyped as the ‘refusers or avoiders’ in such cases, but , in reality, even men are known to decline spousal advances fairly regularly. So are there any ways to increase libido in men and women quickly and naturally? Let’s take a look:
1. Understand the causes of low sexual drive
Typically, low sex drive occurs due to stress, unhealthy lifestyle, lack of sleep, unresolved issues with spouse, abuse in the past, hormonal problems, depression, lack of confidence, menopause etc. Treating these underlying issues is the key to boosting libido naturally.
2. Get adequate sleep
Lack of sleep is one of the most common causes of low libido in men and women. Do you feel tired all the time? Proper rest and relaxation may be all that you need to increase libido and this is true for both men and women. Take a power nap or try some light reading before bed to sleep well. Avoid watching movies or using your Smartphone just before bedtime. Proper sleep of 7-8 hours is just what the doctor ordered to help you get back in the mood.
3. Meditate or do yoga
Meditation beats stress while Yoga helps by increasing blood flow to the sexual organs. When one is constantly stressed, the body converts progesterone into cortisol instead of hormones that make one desire sex. So practice deep breathing exercises, meditation and yoga which all help beat stress and increase libido naturally.
4. Unwind after a long day at work
Before going to bed, try taking a hot tub bath. Add some essential oils like Lavender or Frankincense for deeper relaxation. Soaking in hot water can relax tensed muscles and increase blood flow to the sexual organs. This is one of the best ways to increase libido in women with home remedies.
Here are some other easy ways to unwind after a long day at work.
5. Foods to eat and avoid
One of the main reasons why most people are depressed today are owing to poor food choices. The best foods to increase libido are the ones that are closest to their raw natural state. In other words, try to eat as organically as possible while avoiding foods with MSG, artificial colors, preservatives, sweeteners etc. Fresh fruits and vegetables are the best. Also eat lean protein like fish and chicken, along with nuts, seeds etc. Banana, avocados and oysters are some of the well known aphrodisiacs or foods to increase libido. Avoid sugary foods, alcohol, soy, refined flours, trans fats and fried greasy foods. These interfere with absorption of nutrients such as omega 3 essential fatty acids and lead to depression. Many foods like soy also interfere with the production of sex hormones. Alcohol has a negative impact on mind and body and often causes one to lose control over the senses.
6. Take supplements
Male and female libido supplements are readily available in the market. Apart from these, you can take the following natural libido enhancers:
- John’s Wort-This treats depression and anxiety.
- L-arginine is a natural supplement to increase the amount of ejaculate and give men a rock hard erection. Take between 500-1000 mg of it before sexual intercourse.
- B complex- especially Vitamins B6, B9 and B12 are all needed for healthy nervous system and to fight depression.
- Vitamin C-This antioxidant increases blood flow to the organs. Natural food sources to get this vitamin are: citrusy fruits, kiwi, broccoli, berries, cantaloupe, spinach, parsley etc. You an take up to 2000 mg of vitamin C in divided doses daily.
- Vitamin E- This vitamin increases mood and desire by increasing sex empowering hormones. You need up to 15 mg of Vitamin E daily. Natural sources are nuts, green leafy vegetables and avocados.
- Omega 3 essential fatty acids-Omega 3 essential fatty acids contribute to dopamine production which prevents anxiety and depression. Natural sources include walnuts, organic or mercury free salmon, herring, sardines etc.
- Herbs like Rosemary, Noni juice and herbal supplements like Spirulina and Chlorella can treat underlying nutritional deficiencies and help prevent depression.
- Bee pollen-Bee pollen can boost energy and sexual performance in both men and women. It contains numerous vitamins, minerals and amino acids. Men taking bee pollen are known to experience frequent erections and higher volume of ejaculate. You can get it in capsule or tablet form.
- Herbal aphrodisiacs– Ashwagandha is Indian ginseng. Its literal translation is ‘fragrant root for the stallions’. Consuming Ashwagandha pills can enhance sexual prowess and stamina. It also reduces stress levels and helps one sleep better. Horny goat weed, tribulus, Maca, Muira Puama etc are some other examples of natural aphrodisiacs. Ancient Aztec tribes used Damiana as a libido enhancer and also for treaing impotency. It strengthens the nervous system, balances hormones and promotes well being.
7. Improve self esteem
Lack of confidence, poor self esteem and body image can also hurt sex drive. So improve your self esteem by exercising and building a better body. Even a moderate amount of weight loss can enhance sex drive. This has been proven by a study conducted in Duke University.
8. Maintain healthy hormone levels
Healthy hormone levels are essential for healthy sex drive as they are natural libido boosters for females and males. To do so, get rid of deficiencies like Zinc, Vitamin A, and potassium. Increase your intake of Omega 3 essential fatty acids. Take herbs such as Horny goat weed. Exercise can also help. In menopausal women, black cohosh, wild yam, dong quai and chaste berry supplements can help with declining estrogen and progesterone levels.
Pelvic floor exercises like clenching the pelvic muscles can also help. Hold for 5 seconds before releasing. Do 12 sets. Squats, dead-lifts, sprints and dancing are also great libido boosters.
10. Take the time to talk with each other
Women often feel a loss of connection with their partner. Sit down and talk things through. Address your issues and tell your partner how great he is. This will help him open up as well.
11. Have a date night
Set aside some time for each other away from kids and family issues. Go away on mini vacation if possible. Take the time to be romantic.
12. Use essential oils
Oils can be used in numerous ways: massage, diffusion, romantic baths etc. Some of the best libido enhancing oils include: myrrh, black pepper, ginger, nutmeg, ylang ylang, pine etc. You can also use flower fragrances.
Try these 12 easy ways to get in the mood!