This guide highlights basic search engine optimization techniques to improve your website’s Google search ranking results. It assumes that you have basic know-how about SEO and are not scared of terms like backlinks and title tags etc. There are hundreds of ways in which you can move up on Google search: from having an article written about you on another high PR site to tweeting the links-these are just some of the processes. Let us discuss some other easy ways to rank higher on Google in 2016.
Related content: Easy Ways To Build A Website
Table of Contents
- 1. Do your keyword research
- 2. Be specific about your theme
- 3. Understand keyword qualifiers
- 4. Use Google Adwords tool
- 5. Determine strategies for competition
- 6. Create content with value
- 7. Make sure your content establishes trust factor
- 8. Make sure your content topic depicts your intent and expertise
- 9. Invest in design
- 10. Create content hubs
- 11. Pay attention to on-page optimization
- 12. Build links
1. Do your keyword research
The key to keyword research is working smart-not hard. There are many mistakes people make when trying to improve their google ranking as far as their keyword research is concerned. These are:
- Choosing broad keywords
- Selecting words without much competition
- Selecting words that do not get much traffic
- Selecting keywords that do not convert
- Trying to rank for one keyword at a time.
Instead of selecting one keyword, select a theme. It is much better to rank for several long-tail keywords based on a common theme.
2. Be specific about your theme
An essential way to improve Google ranking in 2016 is to understand your business and identify whether you are looking for traffic or conversions or both. If you have, for example, a website about weight loss, then try and rank for keywords like weight loss pills, weight loss diet, weight loss supplements etc. It is best not to focus on specific words-instead, try and give broad information to visitors and then try and identify keyword qualifiers (the next step in how to move up on Google search.)
3. Understand keyword qualifiers
There are 4 qualifiers that enhance your keyword searches to give better results to the user. These include time (2016, morning, April), location (Chicago, California, Park Ridge), intent (buy) and price (cheap, best etc).You can use free tools like ubersuggest to get accurate keyword qualifiers for your niche.
4. Use Google Adwords tool
To rank higher in Google search, you must use their adwords tool. You can filter the searches here with “Exact” and “Local Monthly” in order to get 10-15 closely related keywords phrases without too much competition.
5. Determine strategies for competition
Use non personalized search query for your main keywords and ask yourself the following questions:
- Are first few results optimized for those keywords
- Is that keyword present in the title tag, page url and several times on-page?
- What is the inbound anchor text?
- Can you, for that particular keyword, deliver better content or resources?
It is important to understand that you do not have to rank high for chosen keywords to earn traffic and that the magic could occur for keywords you never even thought about.
6. Create content with value
Content without value is spam. So instead of writing 100 articles with the keyword, write 4-5 articles that provide a lot of information about that keyword with the reader in mind. Value is algorithm proof-so no matter how many new updates are made in search engine logic; you will create loyal fans and build links automatically. You can create value through following media:
- How to guides
- Interview series
- Webcasts and podcasts
- Simple blog posts
- Combining articles from other sources into a single source (Content curation)
Always choose your article titles wisely. Do visit inbound.org for selecting catchy titles that work.
7. Make sure your content establishes trust factor
Readers will trust your content if it is factual, if there are no spelling/grammatical errors and if it provides insightful analysis rather than stating the obvious.This is essential to rank high in search results.
8. Make sure your content topic depicts your intent and expertise
Make sure that your content topic depicts not only your keywords but also your intent and expertise. For example, for the acne niche, the search engines will ensure that you have also included topics such as hormonal imbalance, diet for acne etc and other factors that could cause acne. Search engine algorithms are now actually being built in a manner that they mimic human readers.
9. Invest in design
If you are looking for easy ways to rank higher in Google, you must spend at least 50% of your investment on design. Find a good designer to work with who can ensure a design that can lower your bounce rate, increase page views and earn more links to establish trust.
10. Create content hubs
No high ranking website will have a single page. Search engines like Google check all pages of your site for relevancy and you will rank much higher if you create several hubs exploring topics related to your central theme. Make sure you link all relevant pages together –for example your acne medicine page can link to the best treatment for acne page and so on.
11. Pay attention to on-page optimization
The on-page optimization techniques can vastly improve your website ranking on search engines. There are several tactics here but the following are the most important ones:
- Placing links higher up in the content
- Links from HTML text are more valuable than image links
- Links in unique content pass more value than navigation links.
- Linking naturally to other high ranking pages on the Web
- Avoiding over-optimizing title tags
- Avoiding keyword stuffing
The key to building links is to create great content. Great content will help you build links even when you are asleep. When you provide value to your readers, they will share the content even without your having to ask them. That being said-here are some easy ways to build backlinks to rank higher in search results.
These 12 easy ways to rank higher in Google search results are just the basics-the tip of the iceberg. Continue learning your way through to the top. Here are some additional great resources to help you rank higher in search results: Beginner’s Guide to SEO and Larry Chase’s tips to rank higher in search engines. Good luck!