Avocados are delicious and healthy and usually available all year round. There are many varieties of the fruit, but the Hass avocado is the most common, delicious and readily available one. You have different ways to eat avocado; especially if you are looking to lose weight or are on special diets like Keto or Paleo etc. Here are different ways to eat avocados for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
1. With eggs
If you are looking for ways to eat avocado with eggs, then you have a wide range of possibilities in front of you. You can make the following ‘green eggs’ recipe which is delicious anytime of the day or night.
- ½ cup mashed avocado
- Yogurt or sour cream or crème fraiche-2 tbsp
- Eggs-2 large
- 2 tsp butter or avocado oil
- Pinch of salt
- Blend together yogurt/cream with avocado using a fork. A few chunks are okay to have.
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs and salt using an immersion blender. Blend until mixture is smooth.
- In a heavy bottom skillet, add the avocado oil or butter and let it heat a bit before adding the eggs. Cook for 2 minutes until eggs thicken but are still wet. Remove the skillet from heat, add the avocado mixture and fold and let sit for 30-40 seconds before serving.
2. On toast
Avocado on toast is one of the simplest and tastiest ways to eat this wonderful super food.
- Make toast
- Add avocado (sliced, diced, cubed or mashed) and other yummy stuff you like.
Here are some more ideas to enjoy avocado on toast:
- sourdough bread toasted, topped with slices of avocado, cucumber, a few drops of fish sauce, and sprinkled with chili flakes.
- sourdough or other toasted bread, strawberries, balsamic vinegar, sliced avocado
- Toast, smashed avocado, nectarine slices, fresh mozzarella and fresh mint.
- Sourdough, bacon, jam, arugula, diced avocado
3. Breakfast muffins
These muffins contain delicious blueberries and avocado. Make a large batch and freeze the extra so you do not gobble them all up.
- All purpose flour- 1 ½ cups + 1 tbsp (unbleached)
- 1/3rd cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- ½ cup avocado-mashed
- 1 large egg-beaten
- 1/3 rd cup warm water
- 2 tbsp coconut oil melted
- 1 heaping cup fresh/frozen blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a muffin tray or grease it with coconut or olive oil.
- Sift flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Set aside.
- Beat avocado, egg, oil and water with a fork and combine well.
- Mix egg mixture and flour mixture until just combined; do not over mix.
- Lightly coat blueberries with 1 tbsp flour and toss them in the batter.
- Scoop the batter into muffin tray and bake for 20 minutes. Let cool completely before removing from tray.
4. Easy avocado smoothie
This delicious smoothie is packed with yummy super-foods and is a complete meal.
- 1 avocado pitted and sliced
- Fresh or frozen blueberries-1 cup heaping
- Handful of mint leaves
- 1 ½ cups organic orange juice
- ¼ cup plain yogurt
- 2 tbsp honey/agave nectar
- ½ cup frozen raspberries-optional
- Blend all ingredients for 1-2 minutes.
- Add more juice if the texture is too thick. Alternatively, add blueberries for slushier texture.
- Serve right away.
5. Cold avocado soup
This is a super easy cold avocado soup perfect for hot summer days.
- 2 ripe Hass avocados pitted and peeled
- 1 small garlic chopped
- Buttermilk – 2 cups
- 4 tsp lime juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
Puree all ingredients in a food processor. Remove into a bowl and refrigerate. Serve cold.
6. Avocado and egg salad
This is another healthy and tasty way to eat avocado with eggs.
- 1 ripe avocado
- Egg- 1 large boiled and peeled
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- A pinch of salt, pepper, paprika each
- 1 tsp fresh parsley
- Lemon juice 1/8th tsp
- Lettuce leaves to serve with the salad
- Cut ripe avocado into pieces or chunks
- Chop the hard-boiled egg and mix it with avocado.
- Add remaining ingredients. Mix well.
- Refrigerate for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve on bed of lettuce leaves and sprinkle some paprika on top.
7. Turkey avocado sandwich
This is a delicious sandwich with tons of avocado.
- In a bowl, mix 2 tsp mayonnaise and 1 tsp mustard.
- Take 2 bread slices and apply the above mixture on one side of each.
- Layer with 2 slices of oven baked turkey, 1 slices of Swiss cheese and ¼ avocado thinly sliced.
- Top with spinach leaves.
- You can grill the sandwich on medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Grill both sides.
- Serve with fresh salsa on the side.
- You can make this sandwich ahead of time and refrigerate it overnight. In the morning, grill it for 2-3 minutes before packing it for kids’ lunchboxes.
8. Guacamole with a kick
We cannot talk about easy ways to eat avocado without mentioning this classic dish, can we?
- 2 medium avocados (press to ensure the skin just gives without giving in too much. If it does, it means that the avocado is too ripe and the guacamole will not taste great).
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- ¼ cup chopped onions
- ½ medium jalapeno seeded and diced
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tbsp cilantro diced
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon/lime juice
- ¼ tsp salt
- Cut the avocados in half and remove the seeds. Scoop out flesh using a large spoon and mash in with a fork until smooth.
- Stir in rest of ingredients.
- Mix well.
- Chill for 1-2 hours before serving.
9. Coconut avocado cookies for weight watchers
Concerned about weight loss? Then this simple cookie recipe is for you!
- 1 c coconut flour
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 2 ripe mashed bananas
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 eggs
- 2/3rd cups choco chips
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ¼ ripe avocado
- 4 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup shredded coconut
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- In a bowl, mix all dry ingredients.
- Mix all wet ingredients like eggs, vinegar, avocado, bananas etc and mash well.
- Add dry ingredients to wet and make sure there are no lumps.
- Form small dough balls and place on baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
10. How to eat avocado seed
Avocado seed has tons of health benefits. They have healthy fats, antioxidants, minerals and vitamins.
- Cut open the avocado/s. Use the pulp for above recipe/s.
- Remove the pit/s (seeds).
- Let the pit/s dry at room temperature for a week. Alternatively, you can bake or roast all pits in a cast iron pan or oven for a couple of hours until the outer cover becomes papery and falls off.
- Now grind the roasted seeds to a fine powder.
- Use the chocolate-like powder in your baking recipes, smoothies, on eggs or oatmeal etc.
This is a wonderful way to eat avocado seeds and get all of its health benefits.