Summer months mean warmer days and greater time spent outdoors. However, summer can also take a toll on your skin. The sun’s rays are at its peak and the UV ray activity tends to damage the skin and even age it prematurely. Summer also means greater perspiration. So, it is time to say goodbye to your winter skin care regime and use the following easy ways to take care of skin in summer season.
Table of Contents
1. Protect the skin
Protect the skin from summer’s harsh UV rays (which are actually at work all year round, but even more in summers), by wearing a sunscreen with SPF of at least 30+. Ask your dermatologist to recommend a broad spectrum sunscreen suitable for your skin type. If you plan to spend time at the beach, reapply the sunscreen every 2 hours especially if you are in the water.
Here are some other easy ways to take care of skin in summer days:
- Use different sunscreen products for body and face-since facial skin is more delicate than the skin elsewhere on the body. Apply the product at least 20 minutes before you go outdoors.
- Wear a wide brimmed hat or scarf when outdoors. Alternatively, use an umbrella to keep the sun from harming your skin directly.
- Seek shade as far as possible.
- Wear loose cotton clothing.
2. Soothe the skin
Sun-burnt skin is no fun as it can peel, itch and, burn. So, as soon as you are back indoors, bathe in tepid water. Apply soothing Aloe Vera gel or Aloe lotion to soothe redness. Aloe protects and heals and soothes the inflamed skin. Here are some other easy ways to soothe skin in summer naturally:
- Add powdered colloidal oatmeal to your bath water to soak in it. This will prevent heat rashes and soothe sun-burnt skin.
- Apply cooling prickly heat powder on the skin after bathing and drying it completely.
- Stay away from harsh soaps that strip the skin off oils.
- Use warm or cool water, especially when washing the face.
- Apply a soothing moisturizing lotion at night. Look for products containing antioxidants like Vitamin C, Green tea and Hyaluronic acid. These remove blemishes and lighten age spots. Men and women having premature wrinkles can benefit from use of Retinol based creams. Retinol is a derivative of Vitamin A which helps reverse premature wrinkles. Avoid the sun when using these products as they make the skin even more sensitive to sun damage.
3. Protect the eyes
The skin around the eyes is extremely delicate and most prone to sun damage. So wear a pair of UV protective sunglasses as well as wide brimmed hat to prevent wrinkles around the eyes. Use good quality under-eye cream which will hydrate, nourish and protect the skin around the eyes.
4. Hydrate from inside out
Drink plenty of water to keep the skin hydrated from inside out. Women must drink at least 6-8 glasses of water while men must drink 8-10 glasses. This quantity should be increased based on the level of physical activity and number of hours spent outdoors. You can also drink decaffeinated teas like herbal tea, homemade fresh fruit and vegetable juices and increase consumption of watery fruits like watermelon, cucumbers etc. This is one of the easiest ways to take care of skin in summer for men and women.
5. Reduce consumption of fats
By fats we mean unhealthy or trans fats. You can increase consumption of good fats like avocado, walnuts and olive oil or coconut oil. Reduce consumption of cholesterol laden food, salt and artificial sugars on your plate and fill it up with fresh salads, fruits and vegetables instead.
6. Stick to a balanced diet
A balanced diet is one which is nutritionally complete and contains equal amounts of vitamins, minerals, whole grains or complex carbs and proteins. It is also rich in omega essential fatty acids. Consumer foods good for the skin such as berries, egg whites, whole grains, green leafy vegetables, almonds, walnuts, seeds, lean meat, beans and legumes. A balanced diet will provide you with good amounts of antioxidants like Vitamins A, C and E which can fight summer damage from inside out.
7. Avoid wearing makeup to bed
This easy tip to take care of skin in summer must actually be followed all year round. When you wear makeup to bed, your pores get clogged with cosmetics, sweat and sebum. This is a surefire invitation to acne and host of other skin issues. So use the cleansing-toning-moisturizing routine before bed every day.
8. Take care of your hands and feet
Apart from facial skin care, you must also take care of the skin on your hands and feet. Wear rubber gloves when scrubbing pots and pans. Get a manicure and pedicure once a month. This will give you smooth skin on your hands and keep calluses and cracked heels at bay. You can also soak your feet in Epsom salt baths to soften dry and dead skin and follow this up with a pumice stone. Massage your hands and feet at night with petroleum jelly and cover them up with socks. This is an easy home remedy for soft hands and feet.
9. Avoid overzealous scrubbing
While weekly exfoliation is a must to reveal younger skin, avoid scrubbing the skin with harsh soaps and scrubs. Be gentle when you cleanse your skin. Overzealous cleaning will lead to skin damage in the form of broken blood vessels, blotchiness and even aggravate pre-existing skin issues.
10. Summer skin care tips for different skin types
In warmer months, women with dry skin must avoid creamy or oil based face washes and moisturizers. Instead, use emollient rich moisturizers and low-to-zero alcohol toners and cleansers. Those with normal to combination skin (having oily T zone) can reduce the oil on the nose and forehead with glycerin based products. These act as humectants and draw moisture into the skin. Always follow up with astringent to keep oil in check. For oily skin type, go for oil-free water based products.
Now that you have the skinny on summer skin care, you can say Hello to the season of rebirth and renewal with healthy and gorgeous skin.