Want some tips and easy ways to spring clean your home like a pro? Here are some easy ways to spring clean the house with this ‘deep clean your house’ checklist.
1. List down the things you need to do
An easy way to spring clean the house is the start with a list. Find out the areas than need cleaning. You can then assign different cleaning tasks to members of your family. Ask each member what s/he would like to do. You might need to haggle a bit about unpleasant tasks like cleaning the toilets, attic, and basement, or hand washing the light fixtures and doing the compost or garden area.
2. Buy supplies
Before you start cleaning, make sure you have everything you need. You might need to buy vinegar, baking soda, household multi-purpose cleaners, sponges, scrubs, cleaning cloth, mops, brooms, window cleaners, etc. Also buy gloves, gardening supplies or garden tools. If you are too tired to cook on the day you choose to spring clean, order a pizza which will make it exciting for the family to clean.
3. Start with the kitchen (9 to 10 am)
To get started, crank up the music!
- Wipe down countertops.
- Clean the insides of cabinets.
- Remove cobwebs.
- Dust the cookbooks and throw out recipes/books you do not need.
- Use a degreaser like vinegar and baking soda to remove oily stains from the walls.
- Wipe down pantry shelves with cleaners. Line the insides of shelves and drawers with clean paper; discard stuff you no longer need. Reorganize cabinets and pantry.
- Clean the refrigerator with vinegar and soda. Throw out stale food, unused bottles of sauces etc. Place a new box of baking soda in the fridge to absorb smells.
- Also deep clean the oven, toaster, microwave and other appliances. Wipe down grease spatters from walls and backsplash.
- Clean the sink. Scrub the faucets to remove stains.
- Empty the trashcan and clean it out. Leave it out to dry.
- Sanitize the cutting board.
- Sharpen the knives.
- Sweet/vacuum the floor, carpets and rugs.
- Wash any throws and rugs.
- Clean the windows. Wash the curtains if any.
- Caulk the cracks and crevices to deter bugs.
4. Next, attack the bathrooms (10 to 11 am)
- Clean the tub, sink and toilets with bleach or vinegar and baking soda.
- Soak the shower head in vinegar to remove salts.
- Clean and rearrange stuff inside the medicine cabinets/vanity.
- Wipe the mirror clean.
- Get rid of expired medicines, creams, lotions etc.
- Discard leftover soap bars.
- Wash the bathroom rug.
- Wipe down the floors and windows.
- Clean the toothbrush holders and soap dispensers.
- Wipe down the faucets.
- Replace or clean old shower curtains.
- Re-caulk or seal cracks and crevices to deter bugs.
5. Bedrooms (11 to 12 pm)
- Vacuum the mattresses
- Wash bedding/linen/covers and curtains and throws.
- Dust the beds or leave them in the sun for a few hours.
- Remove cobwebs
- Vacuum under the bed and furniture
- Declutter the storage units. Discard/donate old clothes
- Swap out winter clothing for summer ones
- Reorganize your makeup/jewelry cabinets
- Clean mirrors
Break for lunch.
6. Kids room (1 to 2 pm)
- Clean the bedding. Air out rugs, throws, upholstery etc.
- Remove cobwebs.
- Throw/donate/clean toys
- Discard old clothes and books or arrange them in boxes to donate them.
- Rearrange the clothes and books still being used.
- Pack away seasonal items to make way for summer/spring stuff.
- Store clothes for younger siblings if any by vacuum sealing them in special storage bags.
7. Living room and dining area (2 pm to 3 pm)
- Wipe down the sofas, couches and other furniture.
- Dust the coffee table, chairs, bookcases, mantle etc.
- Clean the fireplace.
- Air out rugs, throw pillows in the sun.
- Steam clean or vacuum the rugs and carpets as well as the upholstery
- Clean the TV, remote etc.
- Throw out DVDs you do not use any more.
- Recycle old books, magazines etc
- Treat stains on dining table, carpets etc
- Wash or replace table linen.
8. Laundry/Linen Closet/Foyer (3-3.30 pm)
- Get rid of things you no longer need.
- Wipe down the appliances.
- Reorganize the cabinet and discard clothes you no longer need.
- Vacuum out the dryer vent.
- Arrange shoes in the foyer cabinet.
- Remove winter jackets and add spring ones.
9. Garage/basement (4 to 4.30 pm)
- Sweep, clean, mop and dust.
- Reorganize stuff into piles or boxes. Discard things you no longer use.
- Mark and label boxes with tools, seasonal decorations etc.
- Store seasonal items.
10. Outdoors (5 to 6 pm)
- Clean the porches
- Store away winter items and bring out spring/summer stuff
- Clean the grill.
- Wash the windows and door.
And that’s it-you are done! Your spring cleaning is officially complete. Take a break-you deserve it!
If these tips made your life a little easier, let us know. This enables us to create more useful guides for you.