Homeowners are sometimes confronted with persistent foul odors in the rooms. Regular cleaning techniques are often inadequate and unable to remove strong odors. Typically, odors come from pet urine in carpets, refrigerator odors as well as smoke from cooking etc. Such odors tend to linger in our environment for days to come. A closed house can also acquire a musty smell which is hard to get rid of. Let us study some easy ways to remove these odors from the house.
1. Ways to remove odor in the bathrooms
If you are looking for an easy smelly house remedy to remove odor from the bathrooms, then you need to first understand what causes the odors in the first place. A dirty bathroom can make your entire home smelly. Urine often gets inside cracks and crevices in the floors around the toilet. So, no matter how clean your toilet bowl or lid may be, your bathroom will still be stinky nevertheless. The main reason why stale urine stinks so bad is because of odor causing bacteria that feed on it. Here are some easy ways to remove bathroom odors caused by stale urine:
- Bio-enzymatic cleaners. These remove the bacteria from the drains.
- Vinegar and baking soda. Both these substances have the ability to cut through the odor and even absorb them. Dilute a little vinegar in a quart of water and add a cup of baking soda to the mixture. Sprinkle it all around the toilet. Leave it on for 10 minutes then wipe clean with a cloth or mop. Repeat this remedy every two-three days to prevent bathroom odors.
- Hydrogen peroxide. Many products containing hydrogen peroxide are very effective in cleaning bathroom surfaces and removing stale urine odors. Wipe down all counter tops, sink, toilet bowl and lid with hydrogen peroxide. Repeat this treatment weekly.
2. Ways to remove musty odors from a closed house
To get rid of musty odors in a closed home, place some charcoal briquette in a shallow pan in each room for a few days. This will absorb all the odors. Also leave the windows open if it is warm. You can also mask the odors with commercial deodorizers like Febreeze.
3. Ways to deodorize clothes
Unused clothes can stink of mothballs. To remove these odors, hang them outside for a few hours. You can also toss the clothes in a dryer with some fabric softener sheets so they smell as good as new. If possible, launder the clothes.
4. Ways to remove odors from musty suitcases
This one is easy. Simply add some old newspapers to the suitcase and leave them in for a few days. The newspaper will absorb all odors.
5. Ways to remove refrigerator odors
Refrigerator odors can make your entire kitchen smell bad. Here are some natural ways to remove fridge odors:
- Throw away spoilt food.
- Remove all the trays including the ice trays in the freezer. Wash them under running hot water and mild bleach or detergent. Rinse them clean.
- Wipe down the inside of the empty fridge with a sanitizing solution. I recommend adding 1 tbsp chlorine bleach per gallon of water for this job.
- You can even wipe using equal parts of vinegar and water.
- Leave the door open for an hour.
- Place an open box of fresh baking soda to absorb remaining odors. Replace with a new box every 2 months.
- You can also stuff some old newspaper rolls in the fridge to absorb odors.
- Fresh coffee grounds placed in an open container on different shelves of the fridge are also an effective natural remedy to remove stale fridge odors.
- Another easy remedy to remove or mask odors in the fridge is to place a cotton ball soaked in vanilla extract. Place these around the refrigerator and keep the door closed for 24 hours. All odors will have disappeared the next day.
6. Ways to remove carpet odors
Here are the steps to clean carpets and remove pet urine and other musty odors from it:
- Sprinkle carpet shampoo all over the carpet. Steam clean after a few minutes. Also clean the curtains and upholstery in this manner.
- Liberally sprinkle baking soda all over the carpet. Vacuum after an hour. All the odors will be absorbed by the soda.
- Use deodorizing and stain removing products made especially for carpets available in the market.
- Apart from the carpet, also treat the upholstery, linen, bed sheets, curtains etc.
7. Clean the ducts
If possible, clean the air vents and ducts of heating/ventilating/air-conditioning units. You can use a brush and soapy water to do so. If needed, and in case of very strong odors, hire professionals for this job.
8. To get rid of kitchen odors
Baking soda, bleach, vinegar, lemon solution or hydrogen peroxide are some of the best ways to deodorize the kitchen. Wipe down all surfaces with your chosen cleaner. Throw away spoilt food. Clean the refrigerator as stated above. Wash dirty plates immediately. If the weather is warm and your kitchen has a window, leave it open to allow fresh air to come in. This will dissipate most odors especially smoke.
9. Mask the odors
If the above remedies do not work, you can always mask the odors with Febreeze- a popular deodorizer which contains cyclodextrin a sugary substance that absorbs odors. You can also diffuse essential oils like Lavender, Rosemary or Frankincense to make the rooms smell fresh. In absence of diffusers, use cotton balls soaked in essential oils placed around the bedrooms and living rooms to mask odors.
10. Some more tips to get rid of odors
Odors in the closet can occur due to dirty laundry, smelly shoes etc. Place baking soda inside shoes for 24 hours so the odor is absorbed completely. Shake off the soda the next day before using. Repeat this easy remedy every now and then to remove stinky odor from shoes. Also launder and wash clothes to make them smell fresh.
We hope these easy ways to deodorize your home help you.
If these tips made your life a little easier, let us know. This enables us to create more useful guides for you.