If you are reading this article, chances are that you are familiar with the Ketogenic diet. Ketogenic diet, fondly known as ‘keto’ is a low-carbohydrate, high fat and moderate protein diet. It is sometimes referred to as LCHF (Low Carb High Fat) diet and is based on the premise that reduced carbohydrate intake produces less glucose which puts the body in a state of ketosis. Ketosis is the state where the body uses up fat storage for energy resulting in weight loss. All ketogenic dieters therefore have the one question on their mind: how do I get into ketosis quickly, preferably in 24 hours? Let us study some easy ways to help you keto jumpstart fast.
Table of Contents
1. Know the basics
In order to jumpstart ketosis fast, study and read up all that you can about this diet. Know your daily protein, carbohydrate and fat requirement. Track the food you eat in grams. Eat only allowed foods and avoid all non-keto foods. We have given a handy list later in this guide.
2. Use OKL chart
The OKL chart is the ‘optimum keto living chart’ that tells you your carb, fat and protein intake based on your height, weight, gender and activity level. For example, if you are a male with 170 cm height, you need 122g of protein, 30 grams of carbs, and 90-200 grams of fat. You must also limit your calories to 1400-2500 range. In order to induce ketosis quickly and burn fat, most people need to follow the protein and carb intake based on OKL but keep the fat intake on the lower side.
Here is the link to OKL chart to follow in order to speed up getting into ketosis.
3. Use apps and online tracking websites
Now that you know your OKL and how much carb, protein and fat you need; you also need to track these amounts in your daily diet. This is where websites and online tools can help. MyFitnessPal, LoseIt and FatSecret are some great apps for tracking food nutrients.
4. Learn to estimate
Many people fail to get into ketosis fast because fear, laziness and failure to ‘guesstimate’. Often, one stops using applications and tools available for tracking the fat, protein and carb intake. Dieters need to learn to estimate and eat approximate portions. If possible, one should invest in a kitchen scale that displays weights in grams. You only need to do this in the beginning stages of your diet. Once you know how much a broccoli weighs, you will not need to weigh it again and again. You can then quickly learn how to measure food in terms of tablespoons, cups, grams and serving sizes.
These days, social media can be a huge inspiration on your weight loss journey. You get advice from real people who have had 24 hour fast ketosis and other related experiences. For example, there is a group called LCHF4LIFE on Facebook. Join the group where you can ask as many questions you like and get answers from real keto dieters.
6. Reduce or eliminate non-Keto foods immediately
The absolute fastest way to get into Ketosis is to give up following foods:
- Grains-All wheat products, rice, pasta, cereals
- Fruits-Almost all except berries. Do not drink fruit juice
- Beans and legumes– Avoid/eliminate peas, lentils, chickpeas, kidney beans etc
- Root vegetables-Potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, parsnips, turnips.
- Low fat and sugar-free items– These are invariably filled with processed stuff and carbs to make up for the taste
- Condiments and sauces– Learn to read labels. Avoid condiments and sauces having sugar and unhealthy fats.
- Oils– Avoid processed vegetable oils and mayonnaise
- Alcohol– Alcoholic beverages will throw you out of ketosis.
The aim is to keep your daily carb intake to less than 30 grams.
7. Eat allowed keto foods
Following foods are allowed in keto diet:
- Meat-red meat, steak, ham, chicken, turkey –select grass fed organic meat.
- Fish and sea food-all fatty fish like salmon, trout, tuna, mackerel as well as shrimp, crabs, scallops, clams, squid.
- Eggs– look for organic, omega 3 eggs
- Nuts and seeds-almonds, cashews, walnuts, flaxseeds, pumpkin and chia seeds
- Oils and fats– Organic butter and cream, healthy oils like coconut oil, olive oil, and avocado oil.
- Low carb vegetables– almost all greens, tomatoes, avocado, asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, celery, cucumber, bean sprouts, eggplant, leeks, mushrooms, okra, onions, peppers, water chestnuts, watercress, salad greens.
- Condiments– Most spices, salt, pepper, herbs.
8. Deal with keto flu
Keto flu is the symptom that your body is in ketosis. You could experience headaches, nausea, upset stomach, brain fog, bad breath etc. Many people give up once they develop these symptoms. The key is to drink plenty of water to throw out toxins and get minerals by taking a multi-vitamin/multi mineral supplement. Avoid a supplement with too much potassium in it-it can be dangerous. Eat a tablespoon of coconut oil. If you feel weak or dizzy, drink some water mixed with a bit of salt and sugar. Keto flu symptoms usually disappear within a couple of days.
9. Let your body adapt slowly
If you are just starting the ketogenic diet, it is important to ease into it. There is really no thing as “24 hour fast ketosis”. Just watch your food intake based on the OKL chart and let your body adapt to the new eating habits. On your journey, you will hear about intermittent fasting, keto strips etc. You need not rush to get into these immediately. Slow and steady will get you there faster.
10. Do not weigh yourself everyday
In order to speed up getting into ketosis, dieters measure themselves every day. They often get disappointed when they see the scale stuck at the same weight. While it can be very exciting to see yourself losing weight, your weight loss will have ups and downs. As long as you continue eliminating sugar, and keep up with the right macros, you should do great!
We hope these tips and easy ways help induce ketosis quickly.