Looking for ways to cook cabbage? Cabbage is a healthy, tasty and versatile vegetable that is available all year round. However, it has earned poor and undeserved reputation which we hope this article will change. You can cook it in hundreds of different and tasty ways including North Indian curry, French, Mexican, Italian or Spanish syles. This handsome vegetable is leafy, compact, pointy and frilly which renders it a great texture and flavor. Cabbage is great for the eyes, skin and also boosts immunity. It is packed with vitamins and minerals and is a cruciferous vegetable that helps fight free radicals. In this guide, we will study different tasty ways to cook cabbage all year round so you will never run out of ideas or get bored of eating it.
Table of Contents
1. Raw (Coleslaw)
Raw cabbage is delicious and tastes great in salads with dressings or without. To prepare cabbage for eating it raw, sprinkle it liberally with some salt and let sit for 15 minutes. You can remove the outer, bruised leaves before doing so. Next, rinse the cabbage under cold water and shred and eat it as is. You could also drain it on a paper napkin to remove excess moisture, shred or grate it and serve it with:
- Greek yogurt
- In the form of Coleslaw- made using vinegar, milk, sugar and salt and pepper etc.
- Plain butter or olive oil, lemon juice with salt and pepper
2. In Chinese stir fry
A delicious and tasty way to eat cabbage is in Chinese stir-fry dishes. Chop the cabbage lengthwise and add it to hot oil in a wok with other veggies. Cabbage tends to cook down when heated so if the recipe calls for 10-12 cups, you are going to end up with very little eventually.Add soy sauce, noodles or rice and other Chinese seasonings. Garnish with green onions. Both green and Chinese cabbage can be stir fried with meat or tofu. Cabbage is also compatible with any Asian seasoning, and can be stuffed inside egg rolls, spring rolls and all kinds of dumplings.
If you are wondering what to do with green or red cabbage that does not take up too much of your time, then try steaming it. Just add shredded cabbage to hot salt water in a steamer and steam for a few minutes. Drain the water and serve it with some butter. You can also easily cook cabbage in a microwave (do not add any water) for a couple of minutes.
4. As a main course with meat
You can use corned beef and cook it with red, white, green or savoy cabbage. Sauté some onions, corned beef, and spices along with shredded cabbage in olive oil for a few minutes for a delicious main course. You can also make an autumnal dish with cabbage, chestnuts and bacon to accompany roast game.
5. In the form of tasty appetizers
Wondering how to make tasty cabbage dishes? Then here is an easy recipe:
- Ingredients: 1 head of cabbage shredded, ½ cup chopped onion, 1 egg beaten, 1 cup cooked rice, 1 lb chuck ground, 1 can condensed tomato soup, 1 can tomatoes, 2 tbsp lemon juice, 2 tbsp brown sugar and salt and pepper to taste.
- Method: Preheat oven to 350 F. Remove 12 large outer leaves of cabbage. Prepare the rest of it by boiling it in salt water for 10 minutes. Shred it coarsely and spread it at the bottom of a glass baking dish. Mix onions, beef, egg, rice, beef, salt, pepper and 2 tablespoons of soup. Divide the mixture and roll it into 12 small balls. Place one ball in the middle of each cabbage leaf and roll it up, envelope style. Place each roll seam-side down on the shredded cabbage in the baking dish. Pour remaining soup, sugar, tomatoes and lemon juice over the rolls. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 1 ½ hours. Uncover and bake for 30 minutes.
6. Stew it with consommé
Half boil tender cabbage and drain it. Chop it up and stew it in consommé with sliced bacon and sausage. Serve it hot once gravy is reduced. A tasty way to cook cabbage!
7. Easy cabbage haluska
This is an easy European dish with cabbage. It involves a slow cooking method that renders cabbage meltingly sweet and tender. Sauté onions and cabbage over low heat for 10 minutes; combine it with prepared egg noodles and sour cream. Serve.
8. Peasant style cabbage
This is an easy way to cook cabbage with potatoes and can be used for red, green or white cabbage. Sauté cabbage in butter and once it cooks down, add some leftover mashed potatoes. Shape it like pancakes and brown on both sides.
9. With beer/wine and sausage
In a skillet brown some sausages and add beer. Allow it to simmer until almost cooked then add shredded cabbage. Continue cooking till sausage is cooked and cabbage is tender but crisp. Chlopski is a similar cabbage dish made with bacon, broth, cabbage, and wine.
Cabbage soups can be easily made using vegetable/chicken stock. Add garlic, spices, herbs and other veggies like white beans, carrots, peas along with meat and cook the mixture until veggies are tender. You can also make Caldo Gallego or garbure both of which are rib sticking soups made with cabbage, broth, accent meats, ham, bacon, pork etc.
As can be seen, cabbage is the workhorse of most kitchens. It is the backbone of soups, salads and stir fries. It can be pickled into delicious accompaniments for burgers. Ask any chef what his/her favorite go-to-vegetable, particularly in harsh winters, is and the answer most likely would be cabbage. We hope this guide has inspired the chef in you. Happy cooking!